Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiyall,

I fish medium sized rivers in North East Scotland.

I fish with a RIO WC 9/10/11 tips line and would like to develop more underhand casting style.

I am thinking of purchasing all of the following

1 RIO Skagit spey line 10/11

2 RIO Skagit cheaters 10/11/12

3 RIO WC tips 11/12/13.

I feel that this will give me HUGE flexibility and compliment my Shakespeare Oracle 14' & 15' rods. I am finding underhand casting is less hard work on an old body !!

Any comments are welcome.

Best regards,

Scotview.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I recently bought some cheaters for my WC 10-12 and they are great when casting in tight spots, casting heavy tips/big flies etc. Not even sure you would have to get the Skagit line, the WC + cheaters works fine for me.

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Scotview.
Tell me why your thinking Rio Skagit when you say you want to use Underhand style to cast.
Why not buy a set of proper Underhand lines.
There are quite a few different brands to choose from if you decide to go this route.Rio,Guideline,Vision,Airflo.
On the rod you talk about set up with an U/H line you would probably use half the effort your currently using to cast.
Speyladdie.:smokin:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
RIO skagit spey line

Thanks for the follow-up Neil, interesting comments, and maybe I have already made a pre-emtive strike.

Since I made my original post I have done the following :

1 On a quiet pool on the river Don, I made my first attempt at a C spey cast, with no-one watching ! After over-shooting then undershooting, I eventually got the leader to pitch just right, then after the sweep....bang, out went the sink tip right across to the other bank, marvellous. I had the RIO WC No.2 tip removed, and got an appreciation of just what a Skagit can do.

2 I also attempted underhand with the WC slow sink tip & with the no.2 tip removed, this worked but I felt that it could be even less effort. Therefore, I have purchased & received today a set of 10/11 Floating, Inter & Fast Sink Loop Adapted shooting heads. I wont be fishing with this set-up before our season ends on 31 October but over the winter I'll get these heads set up ready to test out when our rivers open in the Spring.

I have effectively taken your advice. It is really interesting to try these new techniques.......and catching the odd salmo-salar is a bonus.

Interesting times ahead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts