Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried a 500 grain Rio Skagit Max on my Beulah Platinum 13'2. It felt really good, loaded the rod well and shoots line like crazy. I'm using Rio's Connect Core running line which has 14' of orange indicator at the end of the running line and Rio's Skagit Max has 8' of Orange indicator at the end of the head. The problem I have is because both ends are orange and when I loop to loop the head and running line it's difficult to tell where the head ends and the running line begins making it challenging for me to set the proper over hang for the next cast. Does anyone else have this problem using this Rio combination? I would like to use the head & running line combination but can't if I can't solve this problem. Any suggestions on how I can correct or modify this to work? Thanks

·
Banned
1,310 Posts
That was something that irked me about that combination as well. I learned to basically guesstimate where the connection was, but that was still frustrating (especially when I was just learning the basics)... I switched to mono running line/backing and the world all around me changed for the better and simplified, it was awesome.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
I'm using Rio's Connect Core running line which has 14' of orange indicator at the end of the running line and Rio's Skagit Max has 8' of Orange indicator at the end of the head. Does anyone else have this problem using this Rio combination? I would like to use the head & running line combination but can't if I can't solve this problem. Any suggestions on how I can correct or modify this to work? Thanks
That 14' of Orange on your running line is actually what RIO calls "handling line" ..a well over advertised diameter section. The good news is that Connect Core running lines have large tactical loops on both ends. You can reverse your running line and change colors. The 'Handling Line' will no longer be in play though. A good thing in my opinion ;)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
works well for me

I think the suggestion to reverse the running line sounds like a no brainer if that is an issue for you. It's interesting to me, I may be the odd one on this but I actually find that when I'm stripping line in and I see the orange come to the tip I know exactly how many pulls of line I have left. Not sure if that was intentional on Rio's part, but it works well for me in that from that point on I don't really pay as much attention to the last few pulls as I used to.

I've played around a bit with mono and lazer line, and I can see how some people would like it but I really do like having a bit thicker running line to hang onto. I had some less tangle issues with mono, but the ones I did have were usually a LOT worse. For actual fishing conditions it just never quite worked as well for me.
JB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.