Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Heavy User May need Rehab
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys tried out this new rio skagit max long? The 500 & 525 are 27ft long, and the 550 is 28ft. I'm curious if this is essentially the same as the airflo rage compact, or if the taper is more aggressive for handling tips and Uglys. The rage is 2 or 3ft longer per grain weights, but I imagine they are similar. Anyway I'd be curious to know if this line system offers us anything new, say the ability to chuck tips on a smoother casting platform than a traditional skagit at 24ft.

Anybody who has experience with this new line system, I would appreciate your insight.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Have not but thanks for the insight! Been wishin someone would make a longer Skagit like the old airflo NW.What's on the market now just seem a little short for me, being 6'6" with long arms. 27' will be nice!!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
This is making me feel old. The original Rio skagit heads (with integrated running line, at first) had 27 foot heads. We thought of them as radically short!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Yes, and there was a 5 ft cheater to be used between belly and tip :rolleyes:

Fyshhead, try to find discontinued Rio Flight which are longer. Whey were discounted when new models came out.

Esa

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Interesting! Race front taper diameter is only about 40% of the rear section diameter! Have you measured these three heads?

Esa

·
Registered
91 Posts
In the picture above you see a mass-distribution, based on the diameter and the density - the diameter alone does not look so impressive (and you can´t compare floater with sinkers for example).

To get the data it looks like this:

AIRFLO Scandi Compact 20 g

And the mass distribution differs:

RAGE 40 g / 30 g / 20 g

·
Heavy User May need Rehab
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trout control,
Thanks for tracking down those taper images! That helps out a lot. Looks like the skagit max long does have a less agressive front taper than the airflo skag comp. It appears the rio long is less "skagitty" and may be more fun to cast, (at least for those of us mid-long belly lovers) smaller tips and flies maybe, but it may fill a nice little niche somewhere between a skagit and a rage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts