Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there isn't a lot of experience with these lines yet but I picked one up last night and am going to put it through it's paces this week. The question I have is concerning floating line techniques.

If I'm in a situation where I want to go to a floater would the Skagit guys reccomend a leader coming right off the line or should a floating tip be attached ?

I'm fishing a 12'6" 8 weight and mostly plan on fishing it with a 10 ft tip attached.

The thought going through my head is that if I want to go with a floating set up I might want to attach a ten foot cheater ?

I appreciate any help.

Gillie

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Gillie

they work fine for a floating line. In Ed's style of tips, all the sinking tips are the same length. If you are using ten foot tips, ten feet of T-14 would be the heaviest, then shorter tips with sections of about the same weight floating (11 or 12 wt) to give ten foot.

The floating tip is a little longer and approximately the same weight. So, if you are using ten foot tips, I would start with 12 to 15 feet of floating tapered tip and try to get it about the same weight as the sink tip. I have used lighter and it seems to work fine.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
I don't think Rio "Skagit Spey" was made to be a floating line, I haven't tried any floating tip's on my line's yet still playing with sink-tips combo's

My .04

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would hope that I can figure out a way to set it up for some floating work. Clearly not as a primary purpose, but even in the dead of winter I have found a run or a section of a run where a floating line and a heavy fly is all that is needed, I would hate to have to pass that water up.

Gillie

·
Registered
869 Posts
why would using it with a reg mono leader or clear poly leader be any problem? i read this post this morning and tried it this afternoon with my standard leader and it worked great. the line seemed to act like any other line on the water. the leader sank and the line mostly floated and things were as they should be. i also tried a 12 ft intermidiate rio poly leader and that was very nice as well. can someone explain why it wouldn't work as a floater?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Works fine

as a floater, as I said up above. Also, Intermediate and poly leaders work fine.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Floater

I just ordered the 7/8 and a full set of 8wt 15ft tips for my T&T1107, more as a small stream outfit than a "skagit" rig. My local fly shop has a WC 7/8/9 floater tip that has been hanging on the wall for a long time. I had been thinking I would give it a try for wakers.

·
Registered
869 Posts
that line may be a bit heavy for that rod. i just cast it a bunch on the 1307 and it loads up real well. if it's not too heavy it will make a killer small stream outfit. the line turns over weight amazingly well, and i don't know beans about skagit casting. single and double spey were easy in close at the line jct. anything longer and it is essentially a shooting head. it should fit in nicely for the GL streams where short casts with a fair amount of weight are the norm.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
I do like rods well loaded. If its over loaded I have other rods or friends that could use it.

Thanks for the input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts