Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Spey Folk,

Rio's 05 catalog lists a new accessory to the Windcutter Interchangeable-tip spey lines. It is called the Skagit Cheater. They are line sections that replace tip 2 to convert the WC into a Skagit head. It includes both 5' and 10' floating and intermediate sections (with looped ends). To the cheater you loop on either tip 1 or 8'-10' of T-14 sink tip material.

Sounds interesting. Anyone tried/tested it or know more...thoughts?

River Rat

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Here is the simplest way to make a head that works well for Skagit casting. "Test" cast your rod with several sizes of Windcutters. Find the size that seems to load the rod the best, then GO UP to the next size Windcutter. From this line remove 5' from the front portion of the Tip 2. Go out and cast. If it feels too heavy, remove another foot. Continue this process until the line suits your needs. As long as the line does not get chopped back under three times the length of the rod, then you will be good to go. The max length that works is 3 1/2 times the length of the rod.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Rio is so cool...

Can you think of company that is more responsive to the "wants" we have? I'll probably pick one up to support the effort, even though I just cut tip 2 on my 10/11/12 into 6' and 9' sections.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree -- Rio rocks!

I was thinking the same thing when I heard this was coming out. This really makes the already versatile windcutter even more customizable. New possiblities:
Windcutter belly -- Shortest Cheater floating belly -- 15' windcutter tips
Windcutter belly -- Shortest Cheater floating belly -- T14 Ed Ward style tips
Windcutter belly -- Shorter Cheater floating belly -- 15' windcutter tips
Windcutter belly -- Shorter Cheater floating belly -- T14 Ed Ward style tips
Windcutter belly -- Shortest Cheater compensator belly -- 15' windcutter tips
Windcutter belly -- Shortest Cheater compensator belly -- T14 Ed Ward style tips
Windcutter belly -- Shorter Cheater compensator belly -- 15' windcutter tips
Windcutter belly -- Shorter Cheater compensator belly -- T14 Ed Ward style tips

1 - 4 of 4 Posts