Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of going to a full floater with some of the 12ft Rio Salmon sinking leaders. I see the heaviest one is rated at almost 8ips. I realize these leaders aren't DC, and probably not as fast sinking as a type 8 tip. Seems most of my fish come on a type 6 tip and an unweighted fly, no compensator. Wondering if a slightly weighted fly and one of their faster sinking leaders would get me in the zone?

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
The 12’ ( 7”/s) weights 97gr . If the fly is a normal size you should be fine. If not, you can cut off 1-2’ form the top to improve turnover.

Another option is to use Rio type 8 sinking material, which really is T-9. The core is made from 20 lb heard nylon making this material stiffer then polyleaders and better suited for heavier flies.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
The RIO and Airflo 'sinking leaders' are the 'cat's meow.' That's all I've used for years, save for a few 'short' T-14 heads for my 'heavier' spey rods (8 and up).

·
Registered
640 Posts
density vs. mass, depending on fly too

Hey Jamey,
I've played with the sinking leaders a little, and for me they work best with less bulky flies because their overall mass is less than a heavier tip. With a marabou leech that doesn't make much drag, they get down better than with a big, water resisting sculpin. I'd use 'em anywhere you'd use T-8.

Carl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.