Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used rio's compensator with there spey lines? How does it cast? Is it worth purchasing one? I have one coming for my 8-9 midspey.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was looking for the same info. I'm hoping with the compensator my 9/10 mid-spey will cast about the same as the normal sink-tip setup and still mend fairly well. Let us know when you get a chance to cast yours.
It will be interesting to see how much add'l depth the type VI will gain w/ the compensator on there???... especially if the casting/mending remains good. Seems like it could be a great product.

Michael

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been using the compensator since November. I found I needed to adjust my casting a bit as the extra 5ft or so of head - when combined with a 15ft tip - made shooting long line a little more of a challenge (compared to just a bigboy). It's a bit heavier too. I now can say I like the setup quite a bit. It definitely helps get a shorter 15' head down. It's also easier to raise from a sunken position. Bottom line: It catches fish and is a nice addition to the Rio product line.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
RE Rio Sink Tip Compensator

I just bought a New Mid Spey 7/8 with the tips and the sink tip compensator for my Sage 7141.

Hopefully the Yuba or American River flows will be down enough this Thursday or Friday to go try it.

I have a WC 678 with tips, and I intend to mix and match the tips from the WC 678 as well as the tips from my new Mid Spey 7/8. To see the difference if any when cast with and w/o the compensator.

In another thread on this section, (Chart for Relative Rio Sink Tip Fishing Depth w/compensator and w/o) I posted the fishing depth without and with the compensator and the various tips. It really seems to sink the tips. I will take my chart with me to calculate what tip should be use with or without the compensator to get my fly down where I want it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts