Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Spey Is The Way
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posed a question earlier about making the transition from Scandi to a more traditional line. I decided to start gradually and went with the Rio Short Head Spey. Yesterday was the first time I got to try it out. I liked it and would recommend it to anybody who was not sure if they wanted to start with a 55' head type of line.

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Is that like a grease line set up?

What's your rod?

·
registered text offender
1,408 Posts
if you chop it, its a great tips line also. I have the 430gr chopped @ 13' for 6/7 delta tips, 470 @ 10' for 7wt rio tips. my 570 chopped @ 15' for 15' 8wt rio tips and winter fishing. per mike mccunes' suggestion, I lopped 12" off the floating tip, a noticeable improvement over the stock line. backed up to the trees, a great casting line with even 6-8' of head pulled in.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
When the lines were introduced last year I tested them on my Sage 6126 and 7136,,,,,, excellent design with easy turnover and smooth casting. Really like them for moderated distances and larger flies.

Like the line for a new caster to get into long belly lines.

When I began playing with the long rods,,, the 55ft Windcutter was a short belly line,,,, mastered that and into the Accelerator and Grand Spey. Today we have excellent shorter lines for the more traditional type of casting style.

Regards,
FK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.