Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Spey Is The Way
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had posed a question earlier about making the transition from Scandi to a more traditional line. I decided to start gradually and went with the Rio Short Head Spey. Yesterday was the first time I got to try it out. I liked it and would recommend it to anybody who was not sure if they wanted to start with a 55' head type of line.

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Is that like a grease line set up?

What's your rod?

·
Spey Is The Way
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think by greased line you mean floating, yes it is a floating set up. I fish for Atlantics. Using it on a T&T 1308-4.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Those are sort of under the radar linesin my opinion. My favorite dry line with the 7136-4 ONE, for sure.
Which size do you use on the sage one? Is it any use with short casts or do you need the full head out and is it good at turning over polyleaders?

·
registered text offender
1,408 Posts
if you chop it, its a great tips line also. I have the 430gr chopped @ 13' for 6/7 delta tips, 470 @ 10' for 7wt rio tips. my 570 chopped @ 15' for 15' 8wt rio tips and winter fishing. per mike mccunes' suggestion, I lopped 12" off the floating tip, a noticeable improvement over the stock line. backed up to the trees, a great casting line with even 6-8' of head pulled in.

·
pearl jammin'
382 Posts
Which size do you use on the sage one? Is it any use with short casts or do you need the full head out and is it good at turning over polyleaders?
The 7/8 works very well on that rod. It turns over Poly's very well. Great line.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
When the lines were introduced last year I tested them on my Sage 6126 and 7136,,,,,, excellent design with easy turnover and smooth casting. Really like them for moderated distances and larger flies.

Like the line for a new caster to get into long belly lines.

When I began playing with the long rods,,, the 55ft Windcutter was a short belly line,,,, mastered that and into the Accelerator and Grand Spey. Today we have excellent shorter lines for the more traditional type of casting style.

Regards,
FK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts