Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to inform you - I have had the opportunity to test cast preliminary versions of new two-handed shooting heads from RIO.

They will be sold here in Scandinavia this season under the name in the heading as far as I understand. I have so far tested a full floating version, but it also comes in a very interesting glass clear intermediate (aqualux?) that I cant wait to try on spooky salmon in slow water, and sinking versions.

They seem to be very accurate in their weights and lenghts (unlike some other brands...), and on my test casting (on still water only so far), they perform a bit lesser agressive than some of the most used heads here now (Guideline Powertaper, Loop), thereby they also present better.

At first I felt the line was turning over a bit too slow according to my casting style, and on recommendation from Bjornar at Jarle & Bjornar who is the Norwegian representative of RIO, I took of 1 ft in the front! That made a big difference, and made me like the line much more! Actually these lines comes with a longer front taper than most other heads and this is why you can cut in the front.

Dont know of any of you North Americans are interested nor if you will have access to this shooting head, but here is anyhow my impressions. A fine new product from RIO.

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
Well, well.....the amazing speed of modern technology!

These heads have been made especially for Jarle and Bjornar in Norway and Sweden. The heads are about 44' long and come in 8/9/10, 9/10/11 and 10/11/12 weights - floating, intermedaite and type 3 sinking. They have only just be released!

These heads are only available through Jarle & Bjornar in Norway and have not yet been made for the US or Canadian market.

....just in case anyone is thinking of asking me about them!!! :D

Tight lines
Simon

·
Hooked on Salmon
161 Posts
Hello Simon and Norwegian,
I would die to try some on the Dee, where I go the week after Easter. Can anyone of you please e-mail me their contact details at [email protected] I would be happy to put a reveiw up here, if you like me to.
"Tight lines"
Per

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RIO Scandinavian lenghts and weights

I have access to the 8/9/10 and the 9/10/11, in both F, I and SIII,

Lenght; all of them are pretty exactly 13,2 meters.
Weight:
8/9/10: 35 gram (0,035 kg)
9/10/11: 40 gram (0,040 kg)

I am sorry, but you have to make this into this old anglo-american measurement systems yourself...

Generally, it is a huge progress that weights of shooting heads now also are given in gram, and not only in AFTM weights.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hei Per.

You'll find the contact details for Jarle & Bjørnar at www. fluefiske.org. The page is not operational yet, but the needed phone/e-mail should be there.

You won't need the sinking heads on the Dee this year if this weather continues. For the season the river is very low, according to the Cairnton ghillie it is down to about July level.

Knut

·
Hooked on Salmon
161 Posts
Thanks Knut!

I just spoke to our ghillie, opposite Cairnton, and he is worried about water, too. But there is a better head of fish up than in many years past, with a trickle of springers running in spite of the low water. Looks like we might need very fine floating line stuff - maybe even singlehanders and 0.25mm fluoro. leaders. Fun!

Per

·
Registered
121 Posts
R.DEE

Was fishing the Dee last week on a beat below banchory. Floating lines with medium sinking tips are all that is required for now. Water temperatures are high for time of year and river is low. We had a 1ft rise middle of last week and this brough new fish in from the sea. We landed 7 springers last Friday and Saturday, all sea-liced!!!!

Beware though, Scotland in April can be unpredictable and the weather can quickly turn back to cold and wet. Go prepared as always.

tight lines!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts