Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried using the Versitips that come with the kit with other lines, line the Airflo Scandi Compact? They look a bit heavier than poly or versileader, so you may have to drop down a grain weight for your line (i.e. instead of the 420, you might need to use a 390.

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
I believe those are just the standard Rio DC (density-compensated) tips. They will work on any fly line that has the appropriate mass at the cut point to support the tip, or, any skagit head. You would not, generally speaking, loop these directly to an uncut scandi compact. You could turn the scandi compact into a multi-tip line by cutting the tip at 10' back or so, weld, whip, or add a braided loop, and then loop on the rio sink tips.

I have a couple sets of tips I acquired on the cheap from old rio multi-tip lines being closed out.

[to clarify what "generally speaking" means: in terms of mass/density, the heaviest polyleaders cross over with the lighter DC tips, and heavier DC tips cross over with T-type material more commonly associated with Skagit heads, so all of these things can be interchanged if the parameters of lines and tips match, but, given a set of stuff that was all designed to go on say a 7wt 13' outfit, chances are things don't interchange well.]

·
Brockton
449 Posts
They'll even work on a single hand line a couple sizes up: come summertime I regularly use the tips from my 8wt SSVT steelhead rig on a 10wt bass bug line to sink big flies for pike and musky. Works great. I cut the bass bug line back a few feet to match the diameter, but honestly I'm not sure that was even necessary.

·
On the Columbia River,B.C
433 Posts
I use a 360-370 grain scandi vera tip on my Deer Creek 5/6 12ft 6 Inch rod. I love it. Works like hot dam. Go from dry tip to sink tip and don't change my stroke. If say you are using a 360 grain scandi now without tips get the same weight in the versa tip line
Bjay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts