Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
For quick-changing a fly and leader, even winter steelhead-size flies can be detached from the line tip's front loop if it doesn't have a bead head. When making leaders, I tie the perfection loop to at least 1/2" diameter, and the changeover is easy.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Actually, we're talking about the time involved in changing sink tips verses changing entire 3d lines with a pre-installed leader and fly. The assumption being that, if you're hanging up on the bottom that you'll likely change to the slower sinking 3d with a leader and slower sinking fly already attached. That's much like changing to a slower sink tip and a slower sinking fly.

Am I correct that you remove your fly and leader and then remove your sink tip, install the new sink tip and then reinstall the fly and leader? If so, Isn't it faster to just cut the fly off, remove the tip with the leader still installed, and tie a fly back on to the new sink tip that already had a leader looped on? In either event, It's the sink tip to scandi or skagit head connection loops that won't allow a steelhead fly to pass without great effort--thus that need to remove the fly one way or another. Dealing with a fly with 3' of loose leader attached on two occasions to facilitate a sink rate change seems like it would be more challenging and time consuming and would require better density?
Yes, I remove the leader and fly combo by loosening the loop-to-loop connection between the fly line tip and the line or sink tip. I then hang them from my vest while replacing the incorrect sink tip with (hopefully) a correct one. I never leave a leader connected to a sink tip while in storage; never heard of anyone doing that, in fact. Ninety-eight % of the time, I stick with the former leader and fly, at least for a while.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I believe that a scandoid is a floating head whose forward taper splits the difference between a scandi and a skagit. An Airflo Rage is a scandoid. (And by the way, don't sneer when you speak the word. A compromise between extreme designs is often reasonable and useful.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts