Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Skeena, Alaska, CF Burkheimer, Olson, Teno, Danielsson, Guideline, Nextcast.
258 Posts
I wondered about that. The airflo scandi that I like is a 34' but I use it with a 10 tip. I'm casting 510 in the line and 80 in the tip--so 44' length and 590 total weight. I think the 5' poly is only 40 grains so I'll be casting 43' and 560 grains--a foot shorter and 30 grains lighter. I was wondering about the impact of possibly more load created with the 3d? Not sue if that's true?
When you are casting head like Hover/int/sink 3, a rear part of the head which forms D-loop has a lower diameter/higher density then floating head and therefore cuts via air easier. This give a rod a bit better load/feels slightly heavier vs. floating.

Also few things to consider:

Rio 3D 480 gr is 34' long while 520 gr is 38' and 580 gr is 39'

480 gr and 580gr have the same weight ratio rear half of head to the front half. More

on 520 gr head rear half to front half is lower.

More weight distributed in the rear half = better load.

Considering that the biggest impact on a load has rear half, 480 gr 3D will load your rod very similarly as 520gr.

Personally, for above reason I do not like 520 gr version of Rio 3D either F-H-Int or How-Int-S3.

For some rods. like CFB 8142-4 where I needed 535-540 gr, I cut from the back 580 gr; 9/10 head, re-looped using polyurethane line form old Delta ( PU welds exceptionally well to PVC) and it works beautifully.

·
Registered
258 Posts
When using 480 gr H-I-S3 Rio head I add 30" section of 25 lb fluorocarbon ( 0.45mm diameter) which has two small loops on each end. Then loop a 30-34" (17 lb, 0.37 mm ) fluorocarbon Seaguar tippet with fly. Fluorocarbon line sinks at 1.5-2" per second.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Speaking of cutting, what about cutting 5' off the back of the seemingly useless 520? Will that change the distribution ratio significantly enough to make it more like a 480? Where did you find the data on the weight of each section?

I appreciate your input as your insight has proven to be very helpful.
Attached is profile of 480 gr 3D. the 580 gr ( 9/10) would be ca. 38'. Keep in mind that the rear part ( in case of H-I-S3,) it would be hover is has a constant diameter. . An average weight of the rear part is ca. 19 gr . For example mine 9/10 ( F-H-I) was originally [email protected] gr . The rear 12" taper is lighter.
Even if you prune it by 4' total form the back there are still plenty of rear taper on 9/10 and it will for sure cast very well.

Do not pre-cut line. !!!!!!!!!!!!

Cut less, let's say 30 inches , tie at the back loop using nail knot using 30-40 lb mono , cast on the river with the real fly . If it fells to heavy, cut 6" and repeat the process. Once you start liking it ( not perfect yet, may be just a bit to heavy) weld the loop and fish for few days before making the final fine-running.

520 gr is just a simple extension of 480 gr I by extending the lightest, rear part. 580 gr is thicker in all sections. Pruned forth back 580 gr; wt.9/10 will have more turnover power.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Plot

As for casting 2 gram dry fly ( 30 grains) 3D is not a line to do it. I would use barely weighted fly, up to 15-17 grains including hook and if needed go with faster 3D. Let the head to sink the fly not weight on the fly. The set up will will cast better, and a fly will have more action in the water. If you use tube fly, add Rhea, some flashabou, color, you can have a large profile fly but not necessarily heavy.

The hallow conehead on the fly below is only 0.25 g ( ca. 4 grains) and hoop is 0.3 g ( 5 grains) . Total fly wight ca. 1.0 g ( 16 grains) . When using Rio 9/10 F-H-I cut to 538 gr on CFB 8142-4, and ca. 8 foot fluorocarbon leader ( FC sinks like fast intermediate) a fly like this is getting a free flying lesson.

I use faster compact stroke ( underhand cast). A speed of the fly has a larger contribution to energy than mass.

Generally, I like to pre-tie flies with 30-36" " tippet and attach it via loop to loop connection to a core FC leader of various length.

For H-I-S3 I loop 24-30" section of thicker FC to the front of the head and then attache tippet. Total leader, including tippet, around 5-5.5'. For a smaller flies a leader can be longer.

Feather Finger Natural material Creative arts Electric blue

·
Registered
258 Posts
480gr sounds extremely light weight for an 8wt. I like a minimal of 540gr

I find it doesn’t matter wether I put on a tip or just a long leader, you just find a line that works and you are good to go.

in my opinion, a lot of obsession goes into finding the ‘perfect’ weight. But in my experience, that doesn’t matter nearly as much as finding a solid rod/line combo for your liking.
I have a 13’6” 8wt that will cast 540-570 scandi easily.......doesn’t matter if there is a tip or not. A few slight adjustments is all that is needed.
Likewise, I can cast 570-630 skagits, same story on tips

1) One rod marked wt. 8 can be really 7/8 while other 8/9
2) casting style and/or rod taper will heavy influence Scandinavian head weight
3) Either floating head or F-H-I for obvious reasons need to be a bit heavier then H-I-S3 or I-S2-4.

For example I like casting using underhand cast with midiim to -fast tempo where most of the power come from the bottom hand. On a rod like CFB 8142-4 ( light 8/9 rod) depending on the sinking rate ( F, F-H-I or H-I-S3 I like Older Guideline 3D or Rio 3D in 535-550 gr range. The rod generates lots of line speed and is relatively firmer in the lower 1/3 of the blank then 8139-4.
On CFB 8139-4 ( true wt.8) which flexes more in the lower 1/3 of the blank to 814204, if I were using more of the top hand 510-520 Scandi would be perfect, but with underhand cast and medium-faster tempo I like 480-490 gr range.

In windy weather F-I + 10 foot tip ( CFB 8139-4 ) Nextcast Zone 525 gr ( head only) works perfectly with a bit slower tempo. At the same time when you slow done further 550 gr zone head looks good and such head can be better with very large fly.

When winds are moderate, wild fish is aggressive, water temps is 50-60 F and water clarity is at least good, there is no need to use super bulky and large flies.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm thinking you may have hit something with 3d when you said "depending on the sink rate". Fastest rate may work better with a step down in weight or an increase in rod length?
faster sink rate = higher density ( mass per volume). Therefore such head cut through air easier and load a rod better than floating.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yooper-Fly

True Scandinavian heads either floating or 3D are not Skagit or Scandoid. . Comparing Skagit and real Scandinavian head is like comparing 18 wheeler with Toyota Tacoma. Both are tracks but........Different casting techniques and more.

BTW, what the heck is Scandoid. Must be some marketing nonsense to attract anglers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts