Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
Something else to consider with tips........

I really dislike poly leaders unless it’s with a trout Spey. They don’t have the energy to really carry much at all and get beat up in the wind something fierce!!!
What I discovered (and many of you probably also) is that the Rio INTOUCH replacement tips (in a lighter wt than your rod) work like an absolute dream paired with scandi heads 500gr and above. Plus, they last way way longer

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
Thanks for the great overview of the 3d lines. Some great advice!
In doing a rather crude weighing of various attached back end coils, It appears that 30" will get me to 480 (the line actually weighs 527). I'll start with a 16" cut and then drop to 8" increments. However, it that's correct I'll need to cut some off the front to get it down to 34'?

As for flies, I use mostly unweighted flies but have some large unweighted intruders that weigh 29 grains dry that I use during high receding/murky water. My 8wt. 12'6" rod with the airflo scandi 510 casts those flies easily with a 10' 80 grain tip (a poly leader won't do it). The fortunate thing is they use no bunny strips and gain a minimal amount of weight wet. My interest in converting to 3d stems from a desire to eliminate extra reels, reel spools, extra tips and polyleaders. It may be that I'll need to continue with the airflo with a tip If I find that the 480 is the right 3d for the 8 wt. and it is incapable of casting large unweighted intruders.
480gr sounds extremely light weight for an 8wt. I like a minimal of 540gr

I find it doesn’t matter wether I put on a tip or just a long leader, you just find a line that works and you are good to go.

in my opinion, a lot of obsession goes into finding the ‘perfect’ weight. But in my experience, that doesn’t matter nearly as much as finding a solid rod/line combo for your liking.
I have a 13’6” 8wt that will cast 540-570 scandi easily.......doesn’t matter if there is a tip or not. A few slight adjustments is all that is needed.
Likewise, I can cast 570-630 skagits, same story on tips

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
Thanks for the input.
It appears that Rio is suggesting the 3d lines need to be lighter than floating scandi lines ( the 520 3d is rated as a 8/9, the 580 a 9/10 & the 480 a 7/8). What is your experience with 3d's?
I too have a 13'6" 8 wt. (sage one). I find it to be a little less particular than my 12'6" rods, however, it's a bit of a problem in standing waves on my frameless one man. The tip flails up and down and fouls the other rod in the holder. As a result, I'm trying to make everything work on the 12'6"s.

I often cast a 34' 510 Airflo scandi line with 80 grains of 10' mow lite tip (sacrilege, I know), In theory, a 580 3d should work on the meiser 12'6". I'll find out soon since our rivers are reopening at the end of this month.

I’ve never used the scandi 3D lines, but I have used several multi-density skagits and intermediate Scandoid. Not apples to apples, but probably similar per the question.

In general, yes, I like to step down in weight with those kind of heads. The only time I find you don’t need to is with really beefy rods......say a 13’ 10wt or 15’ 10wt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts