Spey Pages banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Like you I often add a Rio replacement tip of appropriate weight to the end of a floating scandi line, works great to sink or slow the fly.

When I use a sinking scandi, I find it unnecessary to add a tip. I just use tippet and vary the length based on the amount of sink the scandi head is, shorter tippet for lines that sink faster. You can add a polyleader of equal or faster sink rate to the end of a sinking scandi but I don’t find it to help in either the casting or in actually getting down any further than would just happen with the head itself. If I want the fly to sink faster, I just use a heavier fly.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Regarding Airflo scandi compacts, I've found that using 80 grain 10' mow light tips, especially on 510's and up work well when pushing the weight limit of flies that can be cast gracefully. I've been using that combo for high water summer-run for about 10 years.

This is my first experience with rio 3d and I'm trying to determine its' level of versatility. Do you know if the 520 scandi 3d will cast flies up to 30 grains dry (large unweighted intruders--40 grains wet)?

It's good to learn that neither tips nor poly leaders are necessary. I've not used poly leaders shorter than 10' for steelhead but it looks like I may need to find some fast 5's for the sink 3 line for higher water? I guess the alternative would be the faster 3d.
I wouldn't say that multi density scandi are "versatile," an S3 is never going to get you deep, it will slow your, fly though. If you add a short 5' poly to the end, even a super fast sink, it still won't get you deep. You'll get just as deep by using a sparse and weighted fly without the poly. If you really want to get deeper, then you'll want the next fastest sink version. I fish with some guys who go full on scandi, and they swap heads not tips based on the water they're fishing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts