Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I need a reel for a Rio Outbound 510 grains line. Which reels will hold the line with 300 yds. of 50 lbs gel spun backing ? Does the line take up much space ?

Thanks
Peter

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would check with Simon at Rio, but I think the floater compares in volume to an ordinary 12-weight floater. The higher density lines take a bit less. So basically true 12-weight reels work just fine. I have floater, int., and type III all on 12-weight reels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help - I'll contact Rio
I'll be using it for the TFO 1212 - do you have a specific suggestion that balances well on this rod ?

Thanks
Peter

·
Registered
201 Posts
Somewhere I have specific reel weights which I tested on the rod prior to production, but the net result is that the upper handle is long enough for this rod to balance with just about any reel which the line will fit on.

The way it works is, the lighter the reel, the further up you move the upper hand and the greater the space between both hands. At some point, you may get the hands too far apart for comfort, but I have not found this to be the case.

May I ask, what kind of fishing are you doing?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not doing any fishing with it yet - I'm just trying to put together an outfit which will allow me to cast big flies in the surf. I live en Denmark and we wouldnt normally use such heavy tackle from the coast.
However I'm thinking of trying to launch some very big flies into the surf on the danish west coast and I dont get along very well with single handed rods above 8 wt so I thought of this one - maybe for some pike fishing also.
But the main reason is that my brother is moving to North Carolina next year and I hope to visit him and do some Striper fishing from beach and boat and thought this rod would be good for someone who cant handle 10wt single hand rods.
But maybe its overkill ??

Thanks for you interest.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It sounds like this setup will suit your needs perfectly.

Only thing I might wonder, is if you really need 300 yards of backing? Unless you are targeting tuna, I think 150 yards is sufficient for most coastal fishing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like I said - I know nothing about Striper fishing and thought that it would be better to have too much backing that too little - who knows what you might hook into. But I trust you to know better than I so I'll remember your recommendation.
Thanks again - very nice of you to help.

Peter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts