Spey Pages banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the GL area i fish we usualy have to cast only around 50-70' but with a fair amount of weight. finding a line that will cast nicely at that range has been a bit of a challenge. the rio skagit line will throw a small cat with ease but always seemed a bit on the clunky side to cast. with the 27' head it was actualy a little short and i'm not a fan of loops in the working part of the line which is definitly personal pref. and therefore i didn't care much for the cheaters. my mentor in this sport has always used a pike taper for the heavy stuff, which worked pretty well but was definitly not too easy with having to loop it and/or cut some back for fishing. we then switched to the clouser line and that was working pretty well with the welded loops and a good head length (40.5'). then i got the new Rio catalog and read about this Outbound integrated shooting head line and i though this may be the ticket. i ordered some and got a chance to try it this week and holy cow does this thing cast. for my T&T 1307 i tried the 11 wt which has a 38 ft head at 465 grains. the wc 6/7/8 is 49' and 455 grains and the 7/8 skagit at 450 gr and 27' so i thought it would be in the ballpark. i put a 12' 5.6 ips sink leader on it and it flew off the rod, turned over right to the fly. then i put 10' of t-14 on and the same results. i am really impressed with it and it fished very well out to 70'. from a retail standpoint it is ready to go out of the box with welded loops an each end and a price of $65. much easier to sell than a $75 line which needs to be cut back and looped for tips. also it has a mono core which seems to turn over very well and a very thin running line which blows through the guides like nothing i have seen. this also makes it take up much less room on the reel and you don't need a huge reel to hold it.

i just wanted to see if anyone else has tried it yet and their opinions of it. i will have some to try at the Catt clave this Oct 15 & 16 for anyone in the area that has an interest in such things. please give me your feedback if you have had a go with these things yet, good or bad i would like to hear about it as i haven't been able to do that much fishing with it yet and everyone sees something different in every line. help me out and thanks in advance.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I messed around with some of the 14wt ones on my larger sticks and thought they were serviceable. They defintely let you do more touch and go casting that is harder to do with the skagit lines. I think I could cast the skagit lines farther though. However I think if I was going short I would choose the skagit just from an efficiency standpoint. The 1307 is so easy to cast with the 450 skagit line using sustained anchors. But when it comes down to it I am just not a fan of such short lines for spey casting. It is cool that you are able to just loop the tips to the end of the line though, I only tried poly leaders.

-sean

·
Registered
562 Posts
BF,
I'll have to try these when I see you. It's interesting, when I went to Rio's site to look at the taper and set up they reminded me of the Snowbee Scando-Spey.
The build and the taper are very similair

Gillie

Attachments

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I picked up the 8 wt to use on Gary Anderson's light weight 1204 and like it alot!! Does great with light tips. At least with the Anderson rod, the line casts much better wtih a bit of running line overhang. With the head right at the tip, the soft tip collapses some resulting in wide loops - a bit of overhang and the loops tighten up

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sean, i take it that means you were using one of the sinking versions? i haven't tried those yet as i'm not sure which one would be generally good for the depth i need. i guess that's the next step. the reason for the shorter head lines here is the short distance needed for fishing. i'm trying to find a line that casts well with weight with a minimal amount of stripping/shooting. i.e. matching the head length to the average cast.

Gillie, if you are at the catt next week we will play with them some more. hopefully stretch one on a nice fish as well.

Rick j. are you talking about a 12' 4 wt dh'er? now that's a new one on me! you are definitly right on about the overhang, very similar to any other shooting head system i suspect.

thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hi BF,
It is definitely a light DH but I expect closer to a 5 than a 4. Casts regular single handed lines in 7 to 9 wt catagory depending on how you like loading the rod. It has a soft tip so need to have a very smooth casting stroke. Gary actually had a line designed for it made in England that works nicely as a floating line but the OUTBOUND makes a great mini-skagit line with tips.

Great light steelhead rod - used it this year up on the Klamath for half pounders though it is still a virgin when it comes to adult fish - hope to change that next week up on the GR

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Black Francis and Rick J are you using the Floating Outbound Lines as mini Skagits

BLACK FRANCIS said:
Sean, i take it that means you were using one of the sinking versions? i haven't tried those yet as i'm not sure which one would be generally good for the depth i need. i guess that's the next step. the reason for the shorter head lines here is the short distance needed for fishing. i'm trying to find a line that casts well with weight with a minimal amount of stripping/shooting. i.e. matching the head length to the average cast. .
Gentlemen are you using the Outbound Floating lines like a mini Skagit?

Sounds like a great way to go with the smaller two handed rods. My Sage 5120 works well with the Skagit 450, but I have to use a Loop 3W to hold the line. Your system sounds like a great way to go. I own the Rio Sinking leaders in 12' and 7' lengths. These sinking mini tips would be easier to loop on the Outbound lines. The Rio Outbound WF10F weighs in at 425 grains and should load my 5120 with the tips.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hi GS - yes, I am using the poly leaders though have also played around a bit with regular tips. The 8 wt is around 325 grains I think and loads the Anderson 1204 nicely. Line fits easily on a relatively small reel

Best regards,
Rick J

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Rick J, Thanks

Rick J said:
Hi GS - yes, I am using the poly leaders though have also played around a bit with regular tips. The 8 wt is around 325 grains I think and loads the Anderson 1204 nicely. Line fits easily on a relatively small reel
My friend, whom I posted about on the other site has bought the Outbound Intermediate Running lines and the sinking tips for his 6 wt one handed rod and my Meiser 7/8 Loaner. I can't believe how both lines shoot out the running line with overhand/head casting.

Now, I can order the Rio Outbound WF10F (425 grain) for my Sage 5120 and use a smaller reel on it and "Skagit with it".

Excellent creative thinking by you and Black Francis.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes it's a floater and being used as a slightly longer skagit type line. it casts more like a reg line/shooting head without the looped head/running line. the poly leaders are usualy enough weight for my rivers. i fished it yesterday again and i'm really getting to like it alot.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Black Francis & Rick J re Floating Outbound Lines and casting them

BLACK FRANCIS said:
yes it's a floater and being used as a slightly longer skagit type line. it casts more like a reg line/shooting head without the looped head/running line. the poly leaders are usualy enough weight for my rivers. i fished it yesterday again and i'm really getting to like it alot.
Are both of you using Skagit styles of casting with these lines?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Grampa Spey,

I was out fishing with Black Francis yesterday and unless you count the snap-T, he was using more traditional casting methods than Skagit style. It did work fine with the snap-T, however, and it handled the tip he was using very well. I was impressed.

Hopefully he will comment more on it when he gets back from his trip today. He had to guide a party of 6 (poor bastard) that he was affectionately referring to as the basketball team. :hihi:

Charlie.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Thanks, Charlie

Charlie said:
Grampa Spey,

I was out fishing with Black Francis yesterday and unless you count the snap-T, he was using more traditional casting methods than Skagit style. It did work fine with the snap-T, however, and it handled the tip he was using very well. I was impressed.

Hopefully he will comment more on it when he gets back from his trip today. He had to guide a party of 6 (poor bastard) that he was affectionately referring to as the basketball team. :hihi:

Charlie.
I have used a couple of Rio's Outbound intermediate running lines and fast sinking tips with a couple of my Meiser Switch Rods from my boat in our local river. Once we learned how to straighten out the running lines, the results are sorta of scary. It is no problem to cast 90 to 100' with an overhand/head cast. The fast sinking lines seemed to sink faster hit bottom faster than my Rio Stripper 26' tips and my Rio 350 grain Striper lines. In fact I had to shorten my count a few seconds to keep from getting caught on the bottom. I have never been able to hit bottom with my 5/6 and 7/8 switch rods with any line that I could cast in our fishing areas. We have to bring in about 6' of the head past the tip to set up the cast with a roll cast. If Rio comes out with an Outbound Versa Tip setup, they might really capture a lot of market.

Back to the floating Outbounds used as a mini Skagit. I will be ordering the WF10F 425 grain for my Sage 5120.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts