Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just learning to cast two handed. I was out on the river yesterday and couldn't get my loops to turn over. A friend who is experienced gave me some pointers but suggested I move up to a heavier line. I am not using the sink tip compensator, I'm just looping my type 8 right to the line. Will the compensator help roll the loop over?

I was able to cast his set-up fairly well (considering my level of experience).

Cheers...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Negative, the sink tip compensator replaces the normal floating tip 2 and will allow for a little more depth. It is similar in weight and the casting characteristics of your line will not change much. What weight line and which rod are you using? Does the rod have a recommendation on the RIO site? I started off liking the B rating for the first few years but now I find I like the A rating. As you start off the B rating will allow you to feel your rod flex. Sounds like a good excuse to log more time on the water perfecting that casting! For some reason my wife never seems to accept this simple logic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spent on the reel and line but went cheap on the rod. Yayaya!!! Everyone has scolded me. The rod is a fenwick HMG AV 9/10. Line, Rio mid spey 9/10. I've had two recommendations to go with the SA Short head 9/10, cut at 15', then use the tips from the rio. This should give me an extra 100 grains.

Thanks for your input. This is my first go with a two hander.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm not familiar with that rod. From my limited experience I've noticed people are able to get going quicker with a line like the windcutter. That said I started on the midspey and have no regrets. The midspey is a wonderful line that will do everything you need of it. There are pro's and con's for each line. Unless that rod is a rocket you should be fine with that midspey. It will take a bit more work but you will develop good technique. If you do decide to jump into another line make sure you trial it on that rod first or spend some time with a casting instructor. An afternoon with a good instructor will save you tons of grief in the long run and he will be able to tell you if your line is matched up properly with that rod.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Valley Fly Nut said:
Just learning to cast two handed. I was out on the river yesterday and couldn't get my loops to turn over. A friend who is experienced gave me some pointers but suggested I move up to a heavier line. I am not using the sink tip compensator, I'm just looping my type 8 right to the line. Will the compensator help roll the loop over?

I was able to cast his set-up fairly well (considering my level of experience).

Cheers...
If you are only using one of Rio Sink tips, that will cause a problem. You should leave tip two on the line. Then remove the floating tip and attach the sinking tip to the loop at the fishing end of tip 2. If you remove tip two and attach the sinking tip directly to the main line/head you have lost several feet of line. That will impact your rod re loading and casting.

Try attaching the tip compensator to the main line (remove tips 1 & 2) and leave it there until you go to a floating tip. Then attach your Rio Sink tip to the fishing end of the Tip Compensator. It should work for you.

Below is the data from Rio's site re their sink tip compensator. You need to go Rios site, spey lines and then the Mid Spey to see the illustrated Mid Spey line re specs and arrangement of the line with the tips.

Sink Tip Compensator
The most useful addition to our Interchangeable Tips Spey lines. This Compensator replaces the Tip 2 and helps keep the sink tips deep. The Compensator is an intermediate sink section that ensures the fly stays down. Available in #7 - #12.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you remove tip two and attach the sinking tip directly to the main line/head you have lost several feet of line. That will impact your rod re loading and casting.

I disagree Grampa,

I thought the same thing until I was up on the Hoh last month. The Guide I was fishing with suggested I remove tip 2 in order to allow less floating line on the water, hence enabling the tip to sink faster and to help in my mending. I had heard about removing tip 2 on a Windcutter and going a couple of line sizes larger but never tip 2 on a Mid Spey. I was using a 9/10 Midspey on a Scott 9 wt Rod. After removing tip 2 I was supprised at how easy the the line rolled out, with no noticeable effect on my casting. It just proves to me that modern rod designs will handle several line sizes in both directions.

Henry

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Different strokes for different folks with the same lines

The Rio Mid Spey 7/8 with tips is the main line for my Sage 6126 and an important line for my Sage 7141.

If I remove tip 2 and attach a tip directly to the remaining head/rest of the line, neither rod loads for me*. The loop seems to run out to the end of the line and collapses the cast before it gets out to the end of the cast. It is, also, one of the few times that I get wind knots in my tippet when tip #2 isn't on and wasn't replaced with a compensator.

Both rods are Euro Fast Action rods and that may be the difference. I will try to cast w/o tip 2 with my 7136 one of these days to see how that works.

*The 6126 does Snake Roll the MS 7/8 without tip 2 or the tip compensator on river right for me. I sometimes get wind knots in my tippet w/o tip 2 with the snake roll.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts