Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at putting some Rio lines and reasonable amounts of 20/30# Micron, or a Micron/GSP combo, on a few Bogdan reels. Any ideas on likely capacities would be a boon to rocket science. These are the Reels and lines i have in mind:
Bogdan "00." WindCutter 5/6
Bogdan "50." WindCutter 6/7/8; Mid Spey 6/7
Bogdan "150." WindCutter 7/8/9; 8/9/10; Mid Spey 7/8; 8/9
Bogdan " 400" (I'm using this on the T&T 15/10-5.)
Thanks.

·
Hooked on Salmon
161 Posts
Hello R.B,
From when I still used to fish a bit with Bogdans I recall that they have a rather small line capacity for their actual bulk and weight.

The best way to know for sure is to put the line on (backward!!) and then to fill the reel up with backing until full. It then is easy to unwind it all and get it back on - backing first.

Many tackle stores sell gelspun per yard from bulk spools - it often is cheaper and lets you pay for the exact amount you need. Mine also helps in flipping the line over.

Good luck,
Per

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have spooled up a few Bogdans with Rio Spey lines and I agree with PS. Gel spun running lines and cutting back on the running line(unless you can cast 130') helps a little.

·
Registered
889 Posts
RB-

00- Since a WC 5/6 is basically a standard WF8 single hand line, take it from there.

50- 110 yards 20# dacron (I have 120 yards of 20# dacron with the lines mentioned, but they are tight). The midspey actually takes up a bit less room.

150- 130 yards of 20# dacron fits the midspey 8/9 perfectly (I just wound it on to make sure!)

400- Take a guess at it, it depends on the line you are throwing. Judging from the spool size I would say about 150 yards 30# dacron with an accelerator sized 10/11, which is close enough in capacity to a WC 10/11/12. The XLT's and Grandspey's will eat up a lot more room.

Hope that helps a little!!

William

1 - 4 of 4 Posts