Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hail to all,
Does anyone have any experiences with the Rio Grand Spey line.
I've just read about it an a new catalogue, but to me it seems the head is very long, 100 ft or so.
How does this line work in Speycasting?
Isn't the length of this head a problem in casting?
At the time being I am perfectly happy with my Rio Windcutter Spey line, but who knows, in the future....
Thanks in advance, Hans.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Dutch,

Welcome. The Rio Grand Spey is a great line. It is definitely a long-belly type line. For someone who is used to a short-belly like a Windcutter the 100' belly might seem a bit outlandish. However, for those who don't like to "strip and shoot" this type of line makes it possible to cast 100+ feet without stripping line. It is just a very good tool for a different casting style.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I echo Kush's statement to a tee. The GrandSpey has become my favorite spey line because it does not get shortened when using sink tips. And I like being able to cast without stripping between casts when casting normal fishing distances (between 60 and 100 ft). Learn how to aerialize the long belly, and the line nearly casts itself.

·
Registered
224 Posts
How well does it fish/cast at shorter...

distances? Theoretically, a beginner fishing the Grand Spey could start casting with a short amount of line (say 50-60 feet), become comfortable with two-handed casting, and fish more line as they improve. Am I out to lunch here? How well does this line load a rod and turnover large or weighted flies with a short line?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Turnover

Will turnover a Winters Hope tied on a 5/0 Partridge M on 15' of leader at 60 pluss feet.
Will load almost any rod out there. To get the full benfits adjustment of casting stroke would be necessary.
Speyrd.........................

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
The G/S turns over great at almost any length in my experiences, and so you're right and I would imagine the challenge of casting that whole head well would have one working his/her tail off practicing.

As Flytyer and others have noted, the change in the stroke is nothing short of a revelation when casting the whole head.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks, guys...

That's kind of what I suspected, but all you hear when talk turns to this line is distance. Good to hear it's more than a one-trick pony. Probaby be my line of choice on my next rod. Thanks for your input.

Cheers

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Undertaker,

The GrandSpey works very well from 50 feet out to as far as you would probably ever want to cast when fishing. It turns over well at 50 feet and equally well at 100+ feet. It is certainly capable of casting and turning over large flies on type 6 and type 8 sink tips well beyond 100 ft. I fish my 10/11 GrandSpey out to 120+ feet with sink tips on certain runs on the Skagit. Although most of the time, I am fishing between 60 and 90 feet.

Another thing to keep in mind with the GrandSpey is because it is such a long line that carries a lot of grains of weight, you cannot overline your rod by a line size or you will seriously overload your rod and possibly break it from the strain. If you have a 9 weight (or 9/10 weight -except G.Loomis GLX) you need to use the 8/9 GrandSpey. Likewise if you have a 10 weight (or 10/11 weight-except G.Loomis) you need to use the 9/10 GrandSpey. The big boy GrandSpey 10/11 is reserved for the big rod cannons like the T&T 1511 and 1611, the Sage 10161, B&W 10-12 15 and 18 foot rods, G.Loomis 15 ft 10/11 and 15 1/2 ft 11/12 rods, etc. And Simon now has a 7/8 GrandSpey available for the 8 weight rods.

As much as I lovve the GrandSpey, I would not recommend the GrandSpey (or any other long belly spey line) to a beginner to spey casting because the temptation to try and lob one out there to 100 feet is too great; eventhough, the long belly lines are superb casters at 60 feet.

I recommend beginners buy the MidSpey because it is 65 feet of belly and that is as far as a beginner should be casting until s/he learns to spey cast well. And after learning how to cast the 65 feet of belly consistently, you can then shoot line until you get to 100+ feet.

·
Registered
139 Posts
So, I'm currently casting a Rio Midspey 65' line on a Sage 13' 5" Z-axis. If I wanted to graduate to a Rio Grand spey with the long term goal of casting/shooting 100' of line what length rod should I be investing in? What brand; Burkie, Meiser, or something else?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
What's more important that the brand (as most rods are good these days) is the length. Go to a 15' or longer rod and the longer lines will become much more manageable.

·
Registered
909 Posts
What wrx said. Don't be shy about rod length with a true long belly like the GS, that's what the big sticks are for; length is your friend. Also, a rod with a strong tip is helpful to get things moving in real life fishing situations.

·
PiscatorNonSolumPiscatur
794 Posts
Wow, this thread was resurrected from 12 years ago!?
Gus, you can cast 100' with your current setup. Or did you mean shoot 100' of line? Much has happened in the world of long belly lines in 12 years, but the GS line is still a useful line.
As mentioned, longer rods make long lines easier to cast. 15' is a good length to start with long lines.

·
fly on little wing
1,099 Posts
So, I'm currently casting a Rio Midspey 65' line on a Sage 13' 5" Z-axis, with the long term goal of casting/shooting 100' of line?
the setup you mention is capable of fishing @ +100'.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts