Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a WC 8/9/10 tips line. If I get the 30' upgrade to replace the 15' middle section, how many grains will the head now weigh? I know the WC is 585 grains and the 8/9/10 upgrade by itself is 340 grains, but I don't know the grain weight of the 15' middle section or the tips. Thanks for any info.

Brian

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
See sponsor web sites such as The Fly Fishing Store in Welches, Oregon and the Red Shed Fly Shop in Peck, Idaho, where this info is posted.

Sponsors link is at the top of this page under Dana's half-pound steelhead!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Bek

RIO lists 8/9/10 floating as 585 and 769 with the upgrade, so the upgrade whould weigh about 184 grains additional.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
WC8.9.10:
total length: 125', Head 54.5
Total head weight 585 gr
Body 23' 295 gr
Tip 2: 15' 165 gr
Tip 1: 15' 125 gr floating [sink tips 129 gr]
Compensator tip 2: 160 gr

WC upgrade: 30' 340 gr.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
585 grains without the upgrade, 769 with it. Wouldn't using the upgrade require a heavier rod to handle the additional weight? Why not just get a midspey then? I figured the point of getting the upgrade would be to make one line into two, instead of having to buy a separate WC and a Midspey.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
You will have a longer line and thus more grains. Since the grains are spread out in the longer length of line you can cast it on the same rod. It is due to line casting weight and you can search the speyclave discussion on this issue in the past.

-sean

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been comparing the weights of the midbelly lenght lines. And I would also think that you would need a line size bigger rod with the upgrade than with the normal Windcutter. Here some midbelly lines with their weights.

WC upgrade 8/9/10 70': 760gr or 769gr
Midspey 8/9 65': 640gr
SA mid head 8/9 70': ca 664gr

And because the normal WC 8/9/10 and the two midbelly lines above are in my mind perfect for my 9 weight rod, I would think that you need a 10 weight for the upgrade. I don't own the upgrade so I'm not sure. What do you think?

By the way this was my first post... :)

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
As far as I know they are supposed to work on the same rods. I cast one a while ago but do not remeber if we had to use a heavier rod. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

Welcome to the board!

-SEAN

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
My take

is that it would be going from a RIO type A with a midbelly on a rod to a type B with the upgrade WC on the same rod. The combination should work, but the caster might not like slowing the rod down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.