Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a pair of Rio Gallegos waders, and I was seriously considering the zip-front option. Can anyone offer any feedback as to the durability/worthiness of this option?

Witty banter and off-color comments gladly tolerated.

Fatman

·
Administrator
19,096 Posts
Topher Brown got me set on the Rio Gallegos waders two years ago on a fall salar hunt. I didn't opt for the zipper option like his, just the traditional style. I know he loves his.
Most comfortable wader I have ever owned, hands down. Love the merino wool booties :) Great fit in the legs, hips and torso. Not bulky at all, but enough room for layering. The size chart is spot on. Patagonia adds the extra room on top of the measurements given .... no need to stress.

Are you using them for cold water and air temps ?? They are heavy ... very breathable, but best suited for winter steelheading in my opinion. I also purchased the Skeena style as well and find they are awesome for milder weather.

Mike

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you using them for cold water and air temps ??
yes

I still have some simms guide waders with un-studded boots for boat work, and I normally wet-wade on smaller streams.

I'm sold on the Rio Gallegos, just hoping for some feedback on the zipper option. At this point in my life, this would come in "handy". :smokin:

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have a set of one of the other makes with the zipper. Your experience may vary, but I believe that unless you bear a resemblance to the late John Holmes, you'll find that the zipper does not extend low enough to allow the job it was designed to allow you to do.

I can imagine the sales clerk's amusement or shock if everyone at least tried a "dry run" with the zipper at a fly shop.

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
you'll find that the zipper does not extend low enough to allow the job it was designed to allow you to do.
Ah, just stand on your toes:chuckle:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a set of one of the other makes with the zipper. Your experience may vary, but I believe that unless you bear a resemblance to the late John Holmes, you'll find that the zipper does not extend low enough to allow the job it was designed to allow you to do.

I can imagine the sales clerk's amusement or shock if everyone at least tried a "dry run" with the zipper at a fly shop.
not sure how much credence to lend this advice from "Stumpy";
oh, wait....I resemble that remark:cool:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, just stand on your toes:chuckle:
reminds me of the two country boys who were trying to lead the mule into the barn. When the mule's ear would touch the front beam of the barn, he'd balk and start backing up.

"We can just dig out the floor a ways under the beam," said one of the boys.

"You dumbass; it's his ears that are too long, not his legs."

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've been using them for a couple of years now. On my older version of the Simms G4z's the zipper really wasn't long enough. That is not a problem with the Rio Gallegos. As to the zipper's durability and water tightness, again, no problems whatsoever. I put a bit of zipper wax on it every now and then to keep it working smoothly.

Being 6'6" I always had problems with the "other brand" as the legs were never long enough and hopping logs always made me cringe as I waited for the sound of a rip. The Rio Gallegos Longs solved that problem. As said, they are comfortable, rugged and fit well. I doubt I'll go back to the other guys.

And you don't gag quite as badly when paying the bill as you do with the OG's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts