Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently bought spools of 4x, 5x and 6x fluorocarbon tippet from Rio. All of them break with very little stress. Anyone else having any issues? Sent an email to Rio, have yet to get a response. Guide spools that cost nearly $40 should not break like they are and Rio should stand by their product. Anyways just seeing if others have had any problems like this.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Recently bought spools of 4x,5x and 6x fluorocarbon tippet from Rio. All of them break with very little stress. Anyone else having any issues? Sent an email to Rio, have yet to get a response. Guide spools that cost nearly $40 should not break like they are and Rio should stand by their product. Anyways just seeing if others have had any problems like this.
Where is your line breaking? Line knots? At the eye of the hook?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This doesn’t have anything to do with my knots. I can pull a couple feet off a spool and pull with my fingers and it breaks. This product is flawed. At first I thought it was my knots but trust me, I’ve been fishing over 30 years it has nothing to do with me. This stuff breaks like it’s 8/0 tying thread.

·
Registered
205 Posts
For me it's the opposite. Rio fluoroflex plus is my goto material. I've found that the material either breaks while tightening the knot or doesn't at all (in other words if I do the knot right). I've had issues with other brands, but not the Rio stuff.

That's just my experience. If you are finding it breaking like crazy, I would either try another spool bought elsewhere (not the same retailer), or just get a Rio rep to hopefully replace refund, and the stick to another brand you are happy with.

It's expensive stuff and you are right not to be happy is you think it's flawed.

Just my 0.02$

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Holster, where did you buy those tippet spools? (A general answer, like "tackle shop" is ok.) Tippet material is a chemical product, so it may be a bad batch. Or it might have been sun-baked in a window display, or kept in a wholesaler's warehouse for too many years.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, these aren’t my first spools of fluoroflex plus. I’ve had plenty of this stuff and never had an issue. But I think there’s a bad batch out there or perhaps these spools were exposed to the sun or something. I’ve had them less than a month and they’ve been in my gear bag. I’m just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and also to warn anyone thinking about buying some to test it before purchasing.

·
Registered
841 Posts
This doesn’t have anything to do with my knots. I can pull a couple feet off a spool and pull with my fingers and it breaks. This product is flawed. At first I thought it was my knots but trust me, I’ve been fishing over 30 years it has nothing to do with me. This stuff breaks like it’s 8/0 tying thread.
Not accusing you of tying bad knots but its the most logical place to start since you didn't say anything other than your tippet was breaking. I agree with reaching out to RIO. Ive always had good luck with Fluoroflex so Im surprised at your bad luck with it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Holster, where did you buy those tippet spools? (A general answer, like "tackle shop" is ok.) Tippet material is a chemical product, so it may be a bad batch. Or it might have been sun-baked in a window display, or kept in a wholesaler's warehouse for too many years.
Fluorocarbon line is made from Polyvinylidene fluoride, which is very resistance to degradation. You can hand on on the tree at Spring and by Fall it will still hold like a new.

May be it was bad batch, not properly extruded or Rio spooled wrong line.

I had few issues with Rio line in the past and they always send me new product and never asked to send back the original.

Juts called them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fluorocarbon line is made from Polyvinylidene fluoride, which is very resistance to degradation. You can hand on on the tree at Spring and by Fall it will still hold like a new.

May be it was bad batch, not properly extruded or Rio spooled wrong line.

I had few issues with Rio line in the past and they always send me new product and never asked to send back the original.

Juts called them.
Tried calling customer service several times. Line instantly disconnects. My cell phone says line is busy. Will try again soon. But after that just going to cut my losses.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've had issues with fluoru being super brittle and breaking very easily, too. i just use mono.
You would get skunked repeatedly on some of my systems then ha! Fluoro has it's time and place for sure!!

I think you probably have an old or 'bad' batch I would think RIO would remedy this once you get a hold of them

Good luck

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had a similar issues with rio tippet. The spool i had broke easier then cheaper berkely,seaguar,and maxima at similar poundage.

A interesting fact is many lines advertised brake point is underestimated on purpose. I.E a 4 pound test line sold may not brake until 6 or 7 pounds, if you brake a line or tippet class world record you have to send in the line for testing. Ive heard Rio is a company that tries to be precise and even makes a exact tippet for world record attempting
This is what i chalked it up as. Though i don't buy rio for tippet

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In the current C-19 environment they may be partially closed .
True. I really do feel like they’ll fix this. I’m just hoping to help someone avoid this and find out if there are others with the same experience. It’s really not a big deal. Even though those spools are not cheap.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've had issues with fluoru being super brittle and breaking very easily, too. i just use mono.
" I drove one day a car a while ago, it broke and I will never drive car again"

"I cast a graphite fly rod , it broke and I will use only fiberglass rods"

As with any products FC lines are not equal. When Seaguar first came with FC line, very soon all brands were saying it. Initially it was very stiff too. Currently, FC can be limp ( for trout fishing) or medium stiffness.

While, raw polymer FC line is made from is Polyvinylidene fluoride, a quality of raw polymer, the way is extruded plays a HUGE role how FC line performs, Another critical factor are and which knot and how it is tied.

For example Seaguar FC STS or Abriezix which cast in $ 10-15 per 100 y, has near identical stiffness per REAL diameter as Maxima Chameleon , which as we discussed before, is by average 15% thicker then advertised.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts