Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried the Rio spey sized braided loops on any of their lines. I had a damaged loop on one of my scandi heads that I was going to throw away, and I attached one to the end with a nail knot made of 10 lbs. mono covered with a thin coat of UV knot sense. For the running line I've always used Miracle Braid. To me it seemed like an integrated line. I couldn't tell hardly any difference at all. The line went through the guides smoothly. I'm thinking about doing this to all my spey heads. I'm just wondering how durable the braided loops are. Has anyone used tried these.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David1123

Thank you. I'm glad to here someone say they never had any issues with them, so I assume they must be pretty durable. I thinking about putting them on all my spey heads. Any other opinions would be appreciated.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,348 Posts
Hi David,

I have used the pre made ones from Rio and I make my own also. My applications have been mostly attaching them to T material which I use in my leaders. I have some on Spey lines too and with all uses I put a small nail knot on the braid using ten pound mono. None have ever slipped and I catch some fairly frisky fish.

Ard

·
Registered
555 Posts
The rio spey sized loops are for pretty big diameter lines, like the belly sections of skagit or Scandi heads. When I have needed to put a new loop on the thinner ends of a Scandi head I have always used a smaller size loop, like the large size for 7 to 12 weight lines, instead of the XL size.
They both work well, though, and I have some that have held up well for years.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I've been using braided loops I make myself out of braided mono for at least 25 years if not longer. I've never had one fail or come off the line.

Some I've nail knotted to the fly line and others I've attached to the fly line with 210 denier tying after forming the loop with a loop making tool and then slipping it over about 1" of exposed line core and have the loop then go up onto the coated line for about an inch.

I've also formed the loop by simply laying a short section of braided mono on the sides of the fly line, thus forming a loop and then nail knotting both "legs" of the loop to the line with 2 nail knots slightly spaced apart. Never had one of those fail either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts