Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone uses successfully a riffling hitch (Atlantic salmon surface tactic) to swing for trout? I'm thinking it could be fun, in the same way soft hackles are.

Any input?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Years ago I did fish for trout using a riffling hitch on Bombers and Muddlers. It was a 'special' situation, though, where large browns would predictably start showing up in certain runs a month or two before spawning in the Fall, and tended to be concentrated around specific structural features in the run as they waited for the spawn. And a riffled fly that covered those fish could elicit some very splashy attacks, and some exciting 'chases' from fish whose dorsals were out of the water. The excitement was even greater, of course, if the commotion occurred while fishing at night!

But my hookup rate on the riffled flies was pretty low. If I missed a fish, then following up with a wet fly would sometimes promptly yield a solid hit and hookup. But the use of riffled flies didn't seem to improve my overall success, and after several years I mostly stopped using them.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I would think it worth a try. I've had more than a few instances of success where I was "accidentally" riffling a fly - mostly involving the inevitable drag that pulls a hopper or caddis across the current after completing an up and across presentation - to think it a fluke. Probably not the most effective way to get loads of hook ups, but it could sure as heck be the most fun way to get a few!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, you've convinced me to give it a try. At worst, it will be exciting to see the fly skate around.

·
Registered
521 Posts
In some of the salmon rivers I fish in Iceland there are also trout (brown trout, sea trout, and char). When using a riffle hitch in these rivers for salmon I will also catch trout on the hitch fly as well as have them chase and grab the hitch fly. So it is viable for trout, these trout are pretty aggressive and go after salmon flies. So not sure how successful it is on trout which are more selective feeders and where you are matching the hatch. But I would definitely hitch a caddis type fly as caddis often skate or move erratically on the surface if you are going to go after trout with a hitch fly. Good luck either way it is fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts