1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Could you send in this thread following information:
-Your Rod
-Your Shooting Heads (Brands and lineweights)
-and either lenght of the head or the real weght of the head (or both).
-Casting style and how do you feel about the combo?

e.g.
I have T&T HS 1409-3 with Loop double hand Custom 10# 10,3 meters or 31 grams and it is for my opinion little bit underweighted for the rod. (was just an example!!! - cause i don't remember exact figures - sorry!)

Anyway this could be extremely useful since it may save many shooting heads from getting too short :(

So please share the knowledge!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob!

I wasn't interested in manufacturer recommendation charts for the e.g. windcutter if that is what you mean! What i am interested in are the custom shooting heads like Loop TwoHanded Custom (not the adapted), Rio Scandinavian, Vision Ace and GuideLine PowerTaper. All of them are appro. 13,5 meter from the package and then you'll cut them to fit your rod and casting style.

What I would really like to know is not the manufacturer recommendations how to cut but what the people using these lines are actually doing: whether Lenght of the shooting head is important for them or is the weight only important factor of the shooting head.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good evening Timi.
With my Talon Midgar 10/11w 15 foot rod I started with a 11/12w Rio SSH at full length - 845grains/54.7grams.

The line started to show signs of the core moving away from the outer skin, at around 100hours of casting and has been returned.

Next I bought another line, the same RIO SSH, same problem at around 100plus hours, this time I decided the line was a waste and chopped off the faulty 5 feet from the butt section, then decided to add home made sink tips to make up the lost weight.

And one day thought 'wonder how it casts without the sink tip'. I then developed my skill levels to be able to cast the lighter RIO SSH, which I can now to 140plus feet.

What I am suggesting is, no matter what the line load is as long as the load is 'about' the correct size, load to the rod you can cast it with a double overhead, BUT your skill levels have to be improved.

I now use another brand of head with my Talon Double.

Kind regards.
Barry Ryan.
I am a Talon Fly Fish Products agent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts