Spey Pages banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got consistency with my reverse casts and it all came down to anchor placement. Could not figure out why one cast would fly and the next would not. My two casts I mostly use especially when throwing heavy tips is a reverse snap T for river right and a double spey for river left. For both it seems critical that the anchor land just slightly above you on the snap t and slightly below you on the ds. In addition it works much better the closer to your body the line lands as opposed to out in the river. I would often land my anchor on the Snap t too far up river and out in the river - if I did not wait, the forward cast would be a wide loop that was out of plane. By getting the line just above you and in close the cast becomes effortless and just flies out there. The other critical element is to make sure the line lands with as little slack as possible. This all clicked for me on my last trip and I confirmed it this weekend up on the N Umpqua. I do not think the anchor is quite as critical on regular casts - the rod and arm are farther out and the anchor can land farther down or up stream and still work. But the rod and arm position for a reverse cast is much closer to the body making the anchor position more critical.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.