Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today ended the best ever Jimmy Green Spey-O-Rama! Awesome, exciting, enlightening, informative, engrossing—fine casting, great fun!

We had a tie for first place! Scotland’s Gordon Armstrong and the Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club’s own Mariusz Wroblewski are co-champions. Gordon boomed an incredible 150 foot cast for longest of the tournament while Mariusz was the most consistent, displaying left [non-dominant] hand distances rarely seen.

In third place, casting a Skagit-based line system was Sage Rod’s Scott O’Donnell-wow!

Fourth was Simon Hsieh of Sacramento, California, followed in fifth by the GGACC’s Frank Chen, arguably the most popular and personable contestant.

Sixth was Doug Duncan of Sacramento, followed by James Chalmers of Scotland.

Number eight and nine both hailed from Norway, Knut Syrstad and Stener Skogmo, respectively.

Tenth was Michael Stanley of Sacramento.

Details of casts will follow in a subsequent post.

Results of the 2006 Jimmy Green Spey-O-Rama

Men
Tie 1 Mariusz Wroblewski 551 feet, total of four casts

Tie 1 Gordon Armstrong 551

3 Scott O’Donnell 528

4 Simon Hsieh 525

5 Frank Chen 496

6 Doug Duncan 494

7 James Chalmers 491

8 Knut Syrstad 480

9 Stener Skogmo 458

10 Michael Stanley 447

Women
1 Donna O’Sullivan 328

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Details of Winner's Casts.

Distances in feet are listed in the following order: from left over left shoulder, from left over right shoulder, from right over left shoulder, from right over right shoulder.

Tie 1 Mariusz Wroblewski: 142, 131, 143, 135, total 551
Tie 1 Gordon Armstrong: 125, 150, 141, 135, total 551
3 Scott O'Donnell: 124, 137, 130, 137, total 528
4 Simon Hsieh: 127, 135, 128, 135, total 525
5 Frank Chen: 112, 131, 122, 131, total 496
6 Doug Duncan: 125, 128, 113, 128, total 494
7 James Chalmers: 108, 142, 114, 127, total 491
8 Knut Syrstad: 91, 133, 126, 130, total 480
9 Stener Skogmo: 104, 131, 120, 103, total 458
10 Michael Stanley: 108, 122, 105, 112, total 447

Women
1 Donna O'Sullivan: 88, 62, 83, 95, total 328

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What the Winners Used.

Here are some tidbits of the winners' equipment.

Mariusz Wroblewski: Daiwa Alltmoor [made in Scotland] 15' 10-12 weight rod, custom line with 75' head.

Gordon Armstrong: Carron 15' 11-12 weight rod, Carron 11-12 line with 95' head.

Scott O'Donnell: Sage TCR 10150, 15' 10-wt. rod, custom RIO Skagit line based head, 59'.

Simon Hsieh: Clan Ghillie's Choice rod, 15' 10-11 weight, NEXTCAST 10-11 line, 95' head cut to 76'.

Frank Chen: Clan Ghillie's Choice rod, 15' 10-11 weight, CND custom line 70' head.

Doug Duncan: Thomas & Thomas 16' 11-weight rod cut to 15 feet, NEXTCAST 10-11 line, 95' head cut to 75'.

James Chalmers: Carron 15' 11-12 weight rod, Carron 95' 11-12 line.

Knut Syrstad: Loop Team Syrstad [LTS] rod, XLT line.

Stener Skogmo: Loop Team Syrstad rod, 14' 6" 10-wt, Carron line cut to 75' head.

Michael Stanley: Clan Ghillie's Choice rod, 15' 10-11 weight, NEXTCAST 10-11 line, 95' head cut to 76'.

Donna O'Sullivan: Loop Team Syrstad [LTS] rod, LTS line.

·
The Frugal Flyfisher
107 Posts
Skagit Head!?

Just out of curiosity, in regards the custom head Scott O'Donnell used, how is it justifiably possible to call a 59 foot line head for a 15 foot rod, essentially a 4 to 1 ratio, a "Skagit" head? Just wondering.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FF,
A good point, and my selection of words may have contributed to your question. The line Scott used was an assembly of custom elements looped to the end of a RIO Skagit line.

Scott's casting strokes were easy, almost effortless, and were markedly in contrast to the powerful thrusts of other competitors. It was lovely to watch.

Bob

·
The Frugal Flyfisher
107 Posts
Glad to hear Scott was pretty to watch (he is a blonde after all) but two things are clear to me.

One, by every definition I am aware of, he was not throwing a true "Skagit" head.

Two, he was beaten, by a not inconsiderable margin, by two guys throwing considerably longer non-"Skagit" heads.

Just my observations to, as you said, "stir the pot."

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Well whatever Scott was using he was throwing "a lot of string" as Mariah would say. Very cool!
I would like to congraulate all the winners and say thank you to Bob for posting the results.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Hellish number of feet of line these fellows/lady were tossing. Doubt I could 'cast' that far .... even it was off the side of a steep hill!:D

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Carron Lines

There is so much one can learn at these gatherings. I found the Carron 75' 11/12 to be an excellent match for the T&T1409-3 and -5. And Carron's new 65' 8/9 is a "made in heaven" partner with the Sage 8150!

There is now a bit more blue in my line locker.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Interesting, I have been using the Carron 65' 9/10 on the TT 1409 3 & 5; and the Carron 75" 10/11 on the TT 1510-5 & Loomis 15 10/11 Classic. Didn't think it could get any better. Except for, perhaps, the Sage tcr 8123 w/ Snowbee 1D 9/10 on small rivers/large fish.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Meiser Rods

This was my first opportunity to cast the Meiser Highlander series. They are terrific rods, which Bob had matched perfectly with Carron lines--so appropriate for this event.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
fliegenfischer said:
Glad to hear Scott was pretty to watch (he is a blonde after all) but two things are clear to me.

One, by every definition I am aware of, he was not throwing a true "Skagit" head.

Two, he was beaten, by a not inconsiderable margin, by two guys throwing considerably longer non-"Skagit" heads.

Just my observations to, as you said, "stir the pot."
Well there's stirring the pot, and then there's stirring the pot. Let's consider a couple things
1. a half a rod length or 15% of what some folks have deemed is an "official" skagit line is no big deal. Do they have to be yellow too in order to qualify? I guess since rio says a 9/10 skagit line needs to be 650 grains anything more or less doesn't count either? Let's not be silly.

2. There are other components to skagit casting, namely line weight, and casting stroke are at least as important as line length.

3. he hucked the crap out of it!

For someone throwing what is essentially a windcutter length line to lose by about 4.5% of the winners totals who were using lines 15 to 35 feet longer is amazing. He brought a knife to gunfight and walked out of the room on his own two feet. Awesome!

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I will say it was an amazing cast for skagit lines. Most defintely.

However the line was heavier than most of the long lines people were using:Eyecrazy: Put an egg sinker on some running line and it sure will fly :)

I think the fight was about even and kudos to everyone for some long distances, especially thigh deep in still water. Wish I could have been there and good to see my man Simon place so high.

-sean

·
Registered
77 Posts
Philster said:
Well there's stirring the pot, and then there's stirring the pot. Let's consider a couple things
1. a half a rod length or 15% of what some folks have deemed is an "official" skagit line is no big deal. Do they have to be yellow too in order to qualify? I guess since rio says a 9/10 skagit line needs to be 650 grains anything more or less doesn't count either? Let's not be silly.

2. There are other components to skagit casting, namely line weight, and casting stroke are at least as important as line length.

3. he hucked the crap out of it!

For someone throwing what is essentially a windcutter length line to lose by about 4.5% of the winners totals who were using lines 15 to 35 feet longer is amazing. He brought a knife to gunfight and walked out of the room on his own two feet. Awesome!

I think it is awesome that guys like Simon and Doug with full time jobs and limited time on the water for casting and fishing placed in the top ten - really, awesome.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
That line a knife to a gunfight??? It was 1400 grains! Was it a Skagit line? Yup. Did he Skagit cast? Most definitely. Was it amazing? Yup, but no less than the other casts made with long bellies. The distances that were attained in the conditions that exisited were all amazing.

The only real disadvantage Scott had in the event was all the stripping he had to do. There was a time limit for getting the casts done and he struggled with that. The event committee has agreed to reconsider the time for future events.

As for that "knife" it is a real cable and where the swirling winds really effected the other lines, it didn't result in even a quiver in that Skagit monster! It wasn't pretty in flight - but it went a long way!

Congrats to all.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Spey o Rama

Hi Guys ,
Sounded like a good time was had by all, and thats the most important thing, i got to say it good to See three guy's in the top eight using Clan Rods, not bad for a small company compared to some of the others, that shows the quality of the rods being made by Harry at Clan.

·
The Frugal Flyfisher
107 Posts
Hmmm. Well, I think it was more like poking a hornets nest than stirring the pot.

Anyway, it's abundantly clear to me now that there are some pretty wide opinions as to what a skagit line is, even wider that I had thought by previous debates here on Spey Pages. By the way, I never said Scott wasn't a nice guy, an excellent caster or that he didn't huck a lot of line. He sure did. Kudos to him for that.

I still remain unconvinced that he actually hucked a skagit line, no matter how it started out. I think he hucked a really heavy custom (long windcutter length, as you pointed out, Philster) short belly line, approaching the length of a mid-belly line. But hey, each to his own opinion. If the consensus opinion is that is what constitutes a skagit line, then so be it, that is the consensus opinion. I certainly respect everyone else's right to their opinion, even if I might disagree. Varied opinions and give and take is what Spey Pages is all about. (I think).

At this point I am certainly curious to know what River Addict's opinion might be on the subject.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Speaking of gunfights, many thanks to Nobuo Nodera, Kush and Sandi, Les and Nancy for bringing CND's fine weapons.

CND's 17-foot, 6-inch "The Beastie" is more than enough firepower for any challenge. Wow!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts