Spey Pages banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Damn Jim, that things looks like a dolphin!!
Funny thing is, this buck porpoised down below where Paul and Jim were fishing Poker Run on the Restigouche Salmon Club water above the rail bridge. Paul who was guiding and is holding this silver blue fresh July summer run 38 lber., spotted and triangulated its lie. He dropped the canoe down stream and anchored it just above and inshore of it, putting Jim Lewis, his sport in a perfect position to swing his size 2 Green Picasse, over and just infront of it. This was the prettiest trophy salmon caught at the Restigouche River Lodge in 2019, the last year it was able to open before Covid shut the border.
R.....Jim

·
Registered
134 Posts
I can vouch for Jim and the crew at the Restigouche River Lodge. What a fine team (like family!) running the lodge, top notch. Lots of other options in the area for accommodations and fishing (public, pay, and private).

My short trip this week was a blast, I was suitably spoiled. I was warned of the difficult conditions with low water and no fish. There only needed to be one, this 18lb male came to hand on a #5 yellow picasse. Fresh from the Atlantic and was very energetic. That is one well-know EVE (thanks Mike) on my shoulder BTW.

·
Administrator
19,459 Posts
Well dome Michael!!!!
I told you that EVE was a superstar, she's a salar magnet :cool:

Mike

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I just got back to Quebec City from a week on the Restigouche. I didn’t get in a lot of fishing as I had a lot of maintainance work to do around the camp as I hadn’t been able to go down for over a year due to Covid travel restrictions. I did get to meet Michael and fish with him and his Restigouche River Lodge Guide, Deering Irving. Deering is a friend of mine and was born and bred in the Restigouche Valley and he and his family have been managing salmon camps and guiding anglers for all their lives. Fishing with a guide like Deering is a pleasure as his 70 years of experience along the Restigouche is a trove angling strategy and history.

Fishing had been slow during July with low water and warm temps but intermittent rain and cool 50’ temps in the mountains at night, freshened the water and encouraged some fresh salmon to run. A magnificent 33 pounder was caught in Home Pool the 3rd of July. The second week wasn’t fished but some grilse were seen breaking the surface. Deering caught a 10 pounder on the 12th of July, and Micheal caught his 18 pounder on the 13th and I beached a 20 the next morning. We also rose and had a couple of fish mouth our flies without getting hooked. The fishing was slow but every cast was a pleasure and full of expectation on these beautiful runs. With more rain forecasted, July looks good for Bomber fishing on the Restigouche and the Matapedia.
While I was there, I managed to snorkel down through some of the salmon runs and pools to reacquaint myself with the water which changes every year with the ice out hydrolics. This is a fascinating experience for anglers to check out what’s below the surface and see trout and salmon eye to eye. I also was able to make some arrangements for the Restigouche Spey Clave which looks promising for this October with the border expected to open in August. I have to return to Ontario for my second vaccination and some property renovations, but plan on returning to the camp in August for some further Clave arrangements. Further details will be announced.
Regards....Jim

21 - 25 of 25 Posts