Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a trial balloon that may not get off the ground this year but I’m wondering if this would interest our members and management. I know our border is still closed but I’m being optimistic and think it’s going to open by September as travel bans have eased here in Canada and the Atlantic Bubble with our increasing vaccination rates.
I envision this to be a smaller initial Clave hosted by volunteers like myself that can coach our members through hands on casting and demonstrating Atlantic salmon and Steelheading techniques on this wild scenic private river. All spey casting techniques would be covered but to make this Clave unique, traditional Scottish Far and Fine Off spey casting and fishing would be included as well as spey casting and angling with cane rods. A weekend date would have to be arranged but the first week of October seems do able and enough time to assemble some volunteers to help me put this together.
Regards from Home Pool.......Jim

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
2,391 Posts
I'd certainly be interested in a trip east if I can get into the Maritimes.

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd certainly be interested in a trip east if I can get into the Maritimes.
You just need to register with NB and have the date and serial number of your first vaccination. You now only need one jab and most of us will have had two by September.So I’m finally heading down to my camp in Mann’ Mountain next week.
R....Jim

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Sounds like a plan !!
If you do it the 1st weekend in Oct. you'll have a load of end of Quebec season ( Sept 30) Salmon fishing Outlaws turning up ;):devilish: !

·
Registered
274 Posts
October has a couple obligations for me, I’ll watch and see if I can push to make it happen. If it were to happen again next year…
What a great opportunity from a great community - thanks Jim

·
Registered
647 Posts
the kids are sending the wife and i to lisbon , madrid , barcelona , san sebastian at some point this fall , assuming things are still a go . plans are for some time in october so i will keep this in mind when we finalize plans . i would love to head up that way if time allows . i love the idea .
thanks , jim

·
Registered
Beulah Burkheimer Meiser
1,734 Posts
Not counting work I'm going to be really busy Aug, Sept, Oct of this year with family commitments. Id love to get up there to relax, fish, and meet some of the group. Maybe Wayne and I can have a cook off.

·
Spey Is The Way
1,109 Posts
Not counting work I'm going to be really busy Aug, Sept, Oct of this year with family commitments. Id love to get up there to relax, fish, and meet some of the group. Maybe Wayne and I can have a cook off.
Would love to try your meatloaf.

Leo

·
Spey Is The Way
1,109 Posts
Very interested as well. Used to live in that area, would be great to see it again.

Leo

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Wow, what an idea Jim. I'll be in the Baie des Chaleurs last days of September. It could be a possibility.... Although so much pertinent info and council on how to improve my spey casts, over such a short time, would probably make my brain explode!... Or implode depending if you consider there to be a void up there...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Wow, what an idea Jim. I'll be in the Baie des Chaleurs last days of September. It could be a possibility.... Although so much pertinent info and council on how to improve my spey casts, over such a short time, would probably make my brain explode!... Or implode depending if you consider there to be a void up there...
Simon - I’ll be on the Bonaventure the last 3 days of Sept. maybe we’ll cross paths.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Of special interest that would make the trip extremely well worthwhile for any birdwatchers .There's an ultra rare Steller's Sea Eagle spotted near the Restigouche estuary

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Of special interest that would make the trip extremely well worthwhile for any birdwatchers .There's an ultra rare Steller's Sea Eagle spotted near the Restigouche estuary
I’m a keen birder and I’m heading down there next week. I’m always fascinated by the numerous Bald Eagles that frequent the area. I’ll bring my spotting scope and will look for it.
R....Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was hoping to be up in the Skeena drainage in October, but in view of among other things the tragedy in Lytton, I'm wondering if that will be, or should be, a go. We drive thru Lytton on our route north from Seattle. I'm shakin' my head.
I'd be pleased beyond words to meet some Canadian neighbors, to say nothing of working on a single spey. The Restigouche is a long haul for me from VT, but your idea is a great one and worth the effort. I will follow developments in this regard closely.

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I was hoping to be up in the Skeena drainage in October, but in view of among other things the tragedy in Lytton, I'm wondering if that will be, or should be, a go. We drive thru Lytton on our route north from Seattle. I'm shakin' my head.
I'd be pleased beyond words to meet some Canadian neighbors, to say nothing of working on a single spey. The Restigouche is a long haul for me from VT, but your idea is a great one and worth the effort. I will follow developments in this regard closely.
This is a trial balloon that may not get off the ground this year but I’m wondering if this would interest our members and management. I know our border is still closed but I’m being optimistic and think it’s going to open by September as travel bans have eased here in Canada and the Atlantic Bubble with our increasing vaccination rates.
I envision this to be a smaller initial Clave hosted by volunteers like myself that can coach our members through hands on casting and demonstrating Atlantic salmon and Steelheading techniques on this wild scenic private river. All spey casting techniques would be covered but to make this Clave unique, traditional Scottish Far and Fine Off spey casting and fishing would be included as well as spey casting and angling with cane rods. A weekend date would have to be arranged but the first week of October seems do able and enough time to assemble some volunteers to help me put this together.
Regards from Home ......Jim

This trial balloon is steadily gaining altitude with all your enthusiasm and kind offers of assistance. Negotiations are ongoing to host this Spey Clave at a historic salmon camp with exquisite private spey water. Accommodations would be available on site or nearby for attendees with RVs, trailers, campers, or hard core and budget minded Anglers like myself who still opt for the no star comfort rating of my Jeep and Jungle Hammock when exploring new rivers.
R....Jim

1 - 20 of 25 Posts