Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've been flyfishing for about four years now and have really wanted to buy a two hander in the last little while. I've been planning to buy a rod and reel in the 8-9wt range for large salmon and steelhead but recently found a real good price a brand new rod and reel rated for #6 line that I couldn't refuse. Not exactly what I was looking for or the best of makes, but I'm sure it will be a good rod to begin with and practice with. It is a Dragonfly Excalibur 12'6. I'm not even sure if it's a true spey or just a really large switch?

Question is: Being a newbie and the thousands of different lines out there to put on it, where do I even begin???? I'm hoping I can get something that casts well and I can both swing large flies and throw dries as well? I'm planning on using this for medium sized fish in the 4-10lb range. Any info, advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! Tightlines
-Kamfly

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Must have line

Kam, Regaurdless of the rod I think every angler can benefit from owning the appropriate weighted Rio Scandi Short Versitip system. I generally accompany mine with a mono running line and lately that's been OPST Laser 35#. This line is a great starting point as it is relatively easy to cast with either touch and go casts or sustained anchor casts. Looking at you rods dynamics I would go with the 6wt (370gr) line. It comes with 4 tips floating, intermediate, type 3 and type 6 which allow you to fish the majority of the water column and it turns over decent sized bugs Hobo Speys, smaller intruders with smaller eyes (Silveys Extractor Summer sizes). This would get you off and running with a complete system ready to catch fish and allow you to build experience.

Another line I would have to have would be an OPST Commando in your case I would start with the 350gr since it would allow you a little more feedback from your rod. To accompany it you will need to build yourself a set of tips my recommendation is the medium weight MOW tips in 10' floating, 10' intermediate (iMOW), 5'x5' Floating w/t11, and 10' t11. This system rocks for fishing anywhere where Skagit casts and big uglies are needed. I have this setup for both mini Skagit 3wt (6wt single) and mid weight 6wt Spey/Switch and would go anywhere without it.

Both of these setups are going to have you fishing pro"fish"ently right away and will help ease the 2handed learning curve. There is enough YouTube video on both these lines to help you make a decision if you only go with one of the 2 systems. After you get it I suggest either attending a class, booking a guide or taking a lesson to gain some casting fundamentals as well as some rigging knowledge. i hope this helps please keep me informed as you embark on your new 2handed journey. Cheers Luke

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Big Thanks Luke...I appreciate the feedback!

Unfortunately I do not have anyone to show me the ropes. I learn most by trial and error, and youtube vids. One of the reasons I ended up here. I live in Kamloops, a rather small and pathetic town for anything, we don't even have a fly/tackle shop! We have wholesale sports and that's about as close as it gets. One thing Kamloops does have is some of the very best stillwater trout fishing a guy could ask for. I do fish in the Lower Mainland area quite often which has much more options when it comes to shops, guides etc but it's a minimum 2 hour drive away from home. I am on my own... but I think I'll be on here a fair bit in the next while learning what I can from guys with experience.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Kam, I am know exactly where you are. I live just across the line in the Okanogan. Funny thing is "Cowboy Tom" and I teach casting classes down here that even though it's a drive would be well worth it for helping develop a little "feel" into your learning. Thank God for YouTube in the devoid areas of this world it helps get us started (I was there too), but you'd be amazed at the progression you can see in your casting with some positive encouragement and a little observation. As far as shops I hear you there. I have to run north every other month to visit some customers for my "real" job and I've always been amazed at the need for a good fly shop to break up my drive.

I'm such a fly shop junky I loitered around the North 40 in Omak long enough they gave me a job in the fly shop Friday evenings and Sunday's. So if you are in the area those days swing by and we can exchange some ideas. Tom and I are getting ready to have another class since the interest was so great after our last we are just waiting on some demo rods to arrive from a completely awesome manufacturer who Tom represents. If you can I would like to encourage to attend once we have a date I will let you know. Keep fighting the good fight once it clicks you will be unstoppable.

Cheers
Luke

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I loitered around the North 40 in Omak long enough they gave me a job in the fly shop Friday evenings and Sunday's.
hahaha, that's awesome...might just have to take you up on those classes. Keep me posted. I am really surprised to have met two people so close to home on here already. Thanks again, Luke

·
Registered
80 Posts
I understand your pain on no fly shop or help kam, I live up in stewart about 4 hours from the closest fly shop or help in terrace or smithers so I understand the trial and error, YouTube and this site have been huge helps in progressing as a two handed caster

·
Registered
215 Posts
Kamfly, fear not the dragonfly brand name. I have owned a 6 weight single hander, a click and pawl reel and a large arbor Spey reel for well over 15 years with no problems whatsoever. They have all been fished thoroughly and still perform as new with little more than routine cleaning and lubricating. I'm sure you will enjoy the Spey rod you have and benefit from the many willing helpers here on the pages. Good luck to you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts