Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys:

It seems a millennium ago when I first took up the fly...some of us were fortunate to have mentors, others, in keeping with their meditative disposition, pursued the art with a focused tenacity and singularity.

Fact is I don't remember reading a book that served as a primer to angling on the fly...I quite indiscriminately ate up everything.

A friend has told me his father is retiring and wants to take up the fly; he wants to get him a primer that will serve as a solid foundation for his father's continued interest in fly fishing. I have a few ideas in mind...though it seems that a treatment of both "how to" mixed with lore would be best.

Suggestions would be welcome and appreciated.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I never read any of the "how to's" but as far as lore goes, tough to beat anything John Gierach. sex, Death and Fly Fishing is still one of my faves. Brilliant humor that man.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
back in our day, CC, it was The Practical Fly Fisherman by MacLean. I don't know if there is a new variation of that or not.

·
Banned
571 Posts
A primer, you say?

Hard to find a title that is introductory to the world of fly fishing and that isn't so general it is quite useless. I have a book called "a Primer of Fly Fishing" and it has a paragraph about almost everything. Hopeless. One book I would recommend is "Fishing Dry Flies for Trout on Rivers and Streams" by Art Lee. Introductory bits leading to quite sophisticated presentations of major concepts. Men who retire and take up a challenging hobby seem to either give it a try and move on or give it their all and become keen students. Art Lee's books are ideal for the latter. Cheers, Buff.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I picked up fly fishing about five years ago, maybe six or seven. Anyway, I'm still a rookie compared to many of you but, it's a passion now. "The Orvis Fly-Fishing Guide" was my encyclopedia for the first couple of years. Good basics on rods & reels, flies, knots, casting, technique and plenty of illustrations. It's was about $25 in paperback when I bought it.

·
Stuck on DT
44 Posts
A great book

Hi there. For a someone new to fly fishing, I would reccommend getting a copy of Dan Holland's Trout Fisherman's Bible.
My first copy (bought in 1978) fell to pieces from reading it so much.
The book covers all aspects of trout fishing, but leans heavily toward fly fishing. It has great photos and pretty detailed instructions about fishing with wets, nymphs, dries, steamers and bucktails. It covers casting technique, tackle, flies etc.
It could be a bit hard to find, but it would be worth hunting down in my opinion.
Good Luck.
Regards, GK.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts