Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Test of the Rio Shooting Head

I recently had the last weeks fishing on the River Beauly, which runs into the Beauly Firth close to Inverness Just down the road from Muir of Ord where Simon, Speybro’s family have their roots. The advantage of having the last week of the season is if there are any extra days after the last full week you get those to. This year we had a week plus three extra days, the fishing for the first week was excellent and between the three beats eighty-six fish were taken, most returned or retained for the hatchery.

The river is divided into three beats and you fish a different beat each day in rotation. We had problems on the lower two beats when a seal came up river; this pushed the salmon up to the top beat. At the present time seals are protected in the UK, but there are far too many of them and they are finding food scarce so they enter the river systems, big mistake why do politicians have to interfere.

I received my shooting head the day I left so I shoved it into my tackle box determined to try it out before the week was over. I have a reel with another make of shooting head attached so I stripped that off and replaced it with the Rio head, as I was unsure of the length I would require I carefully slid on one of the loops provided.

On the second last day our furry friend had visited the river so the fishing was slow. I decided to try out the shooting head with the input of Willie Mattieson the head gillie; Willie is third generation gillie on the Beauly.

We moved to the Silver Pool, which is just below the castle (see photo on the next post) where there is a groin at the tail of the pool. I set up my Bruce and Walker rod with the shooting head system. Willie and I both prefer longer bellied lines, Willie using a Rio Accelerator or Carron Jet Stream and me an Accelerator or XLT, I thought the test should be interesting and informative.

Willie stripped of the line and rolled out the head, then he pulled out some of the running line and cast the line across the river, it shot off like a bullet, forty or fifty yards. Yes you have all guessed by now that the braided loop had become undone. I leapt from the groin like a well-trained water buffalo and set off in hot (ish) pursuit. It is extremely difficult to run in chest waders up to your waist in water. The gillie who is supposed to be ensuring my safety was at the time collapsed in a heap writhing in laughter, unable to tell me if there were any dangerous holes I was likely to plummet into.

Luckily the fly snagged on the river bottom and I was able to retrieve the line, we then attached the line to the running line by a figure of eight not so we could at least give the line a cast. The test was somewhat of an anticlimax as neither of us could cast for more than thirty seconds before dissolving into fits of giggles. Simon thanks very much for the head to try, I promise that I will try again.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Hoy Vey! Even the "The Redhead" cracked up ..

when I read this one to her. Now that's MOTIVATION!!!

Love the photo's of the river ... equal in beauty to anything we have here in Southern Oregon. But got to admit ... the 'big stone buildings' we don't have. Can hear the arrows bouncing off this in my 'minds-eye;' think I'll go rent a movie

Drull!

:smokin:
fae

·
Registered
427 Posts
Simon,

I'm still waiting for enough water to try the 8/9 F/I/S. The rivers are near record lows right now. I tried a few casts on a 12'6 8wt Lochmoor X but with the flow really couldn't get much of a feel. Mine thoughts are it might be a little on the heavy side. I'm going to give her a go on a couple of sticks before any cutting. Would it be possable to get soft copies of the review sheets? I expect that rather than filling a single sheet multople reviews with different rods and conditions would be of greater help?

regards

andre

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Willie Gunn re your Test of the Rio Shooting Head

I will gladly buy the video if one was made of your adventure.

Since I have Scottish ancestors, I can enjoy and laugh at the scene of a Scot risking his life to save a shooting head, while his Scottish Gilley, collapsed in a heap writhing in laughter, unable to tell the other Scot, if there were any dangerous holes he was likely to plummet into.

Thanks for the great story and the pictures.:chuckle:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Willie Gunn, I must confess.

Last week in Oregon's Deschutes River, I was fishing Rio's Scandinavian Shooting Head, when, on the dangle the loop slid off the head and went floating down the "plywood hole." Nice nail knot, Bob, I thought.

I did a Willie Gunn run in waders down river, but never had a chance. All I accomlished was winning the comic relief trophy for the day! The next day was spent imagining creative report scenarios for Rio.

Late in the afternoon of the last day, my sharp eyed partner spotted the line and fly on the river bottom downstream of its "release." All is well, but finishing the test procedure will be a bit delayed.

All video and photos have been confiscated and will never see the light of day.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Well did you catch any fish?

Besides the comic relief, did you catch any fish?

I probably will not feel like testing the GS7/8 with you next week. My oral surgery was moved up to this coming Monday at 8:30 am. Some coward or wimp probably cancelled.

I will let you know, but probably next week is a downer for me.:(

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Attach the Loops

Guys

You are supposed to nail knot the loop to the line, or better use two of 10 or 12# maxima, then there will be no mad dash for the head.

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
I am not sure if this is good feedback or not! The braided loops are a very loose pick so that they will go over the heads easily, but this means they will fly off if not attached properly! Oh, some of you have found out!!! :hehe:

You make me home sick, Malcolm, with talk of the Beauly. Just down the rod from a mighty fine distillery - Glen Ord, being my favourite tipple still.

Nice to know Willie M. is still there. He is a grand gillie and a real pleasure to be with - one of the best gillie's I have ever come across and not afraid to teach the rod!

Andre, I think the 8/9 at 44' will be too much weight for the LochMor X 12' 6" #8, cut back to 38 - 40' and the load will be a lot better. Alternativley, if you need the length, the 44' 7/8 will be perfect.

Thanks for the "detailed" reports.

Simon

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Simon,
If you are free next October, give me a shout and you can fish my rod for a few days. Or if May /June suit you better we could fish the Connon instead. I'll find you some Glen Deveron a much superior dram, as I hope Willie M will atest when he has finished sampling his bottle.

I wasn't sure about posting such public feedback but glad you took it in the fun way it was intended.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Two don't fail

Bob,
I ususlly tie two nail knots over the end of the braid before I trim it. I have never had that system fail. I sometimes cover the nail knots only with pliobond. That would keep the nail knot from slipping too. I don't get enough chances at steelhead that I want something to fail.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ted,
I very seldom use braid, I do not trust it. I usually strip and splice a loop. On this occasion I was planning to fine tune the shooting head so I used the braided loop, two nail knots and pliobond would be kind of solid I guess.

I agree with you though, it was very careless.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Braided loops for the big stuff

Malcolm
I have not done it, but i understand that the fly fishermen who go after the really big fish usually use braided loops. I have had loops in the stripped core fail. I have had nail knots strip the coating off the line and fail. I have not had sewn loos or properly applied braid fail, yet, so I use them.

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
Malcolm, you are a true gem to offer such goodies! If I have to arrange a family visit back to the UK next year, it will somehow coincide with those dates! I will let you know and a thousand thanks.

I also use two nail knots to attach braided loops to the lines, Ted. I use 17lb tippet so that I can really pull it tight and get it to bite in, then I seal the knots with our UV knot seal - which only takes 5 seconds to dry in the sunlight. I have never had a failure with this set up and the UV glue keeps the tag ends of the nail knots and the loose braid ends neat and smooth.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Speybro, Thanks for reminding us about Rio's UV Knot Seal

You posted:

"Our UV knot seal - which only takes 5 seconds to dry in the sunlight. I have never had a failure with this set up and the UV glue keeps the tag ends of the nail knots and the loose braid ends neat and smooth."

Thanks, I keep forgetting about this product. I will buy some this week if it is available at our fly shop. If not I will have them order me a bottle.

I don't have the time, working space or patience to use the other brands which require a lot of time to set up, dry and seal.

What brand/type of 17 # tippet do you use, as I present the perfect lob shot for your return?

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
Dave, I use Rio, of course! I use a medium stiff material (RIOMax). Copolymer stuff, like our Powerflex 17lb, is much too thin to get a hold of and tighten.

Just one word of warning on the UV glue. Make sure you apply it in the shade, or indoors preferebly. That way you can use a needle to guide the glue to the shape you want, then take it outside to flash dry.

Simon

M

·
0 Posts
You could get a bottle of Loctite 406 CA glue. try just a couple of drops on your braided loops. Hold trucks without nail knots. Max

1 - 18 of 18 Posts