Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
BULL DOG!!!!
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read with great interest Eds letter on the spey pages and was really surprised by his comment about shooting head systems being new and from the NW. first let me just say that I have fished behind Mr. Ward on the Skagit and did so just to watch him fish as I knew that there was no chance for me after him going through, he is a pure fisherman.
Now getting back to the subject, I will quite from Fine and Far Off published in 1952 The author was talking about line design:
Now a word on the modern alternative, the torpedo-head line. This consists of a fine level point again, a very thick casting part, a short quick taper, a very thick casting part, a short back taper, and maybe 40 yds of very finelevel shooting line. To make a cast the angler lets out line until the thick part is just beyond the rod tip, draws some yards of the fine lineoff the reel and holds it in coils ready to shoot. He then casts, releases the coils, and the heavy torpedo head pulls out the fine line. But that is spinning in the Thames style,neither more nor less. It is exactly just what our fathers did on the Thames before spinning reels became efficient. What is the difference between casting a weighted bait from a coil of fine, dressed line, as they did in 1870, and casting a fly by means of a fat blob of line, torpedo shaped, which draws out a very fine line through the rings. It is the same thing. Spinning under a new disguise, that is all. A stiff rod and plenty of force and away she goes!
Well there it is. I am not personally advocating one method or another but just wanted to show that it wasnt new.
Well lets here the replys.

Reactions: Laker

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Well

I don't know how they fished on the Thames however the thing that seperates fly fishing from gear fishing is how the (lure,fly or bait) is transported. There are two options. It is transported either under it's own weight (gear fishing) of using the weight of the line (fly fishing).

Weight forward, double taper or whatever else. or even leadcore and mono running line. It's all fly fishing. The only time it becomes no longer fly fishing is when the weight used to transport the line is in the lure itself or added weight such as a sinker or bobber.
If a guy can spey cast leadcore and mono running line more power to him. It doesn't sound like fun to me but i am not going to say he isn't fly fishing or isn't spey casting. However as soon as the fly or an attatchment becomes so heavy that the line is no longer what causes the rod to load then he is not fly fishing.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Not wanting to get into 'the' fray over method, tradition, or definitions...

After carefully reading Ed's letter, especially his ending of personal notes, I can only say: "Words to Live By".

Nuff said,

William

·
Registered
459 Posts
William,

Where have you been ? Tried to email a week or two ago and your old email address was not there.

Getting ready for the trip next week I think right ?

Have a good one.

Best,

Hal

P.S. Yes good commentary from Ed Ward on lots of things. Like FF ethics and resource management in addition to the technical comments on spey and line set ups etc..

·
Registered
4 Posts
May 08

Ed,

Wondering about your schedule in May of 08. I would like to come out West with my son and son in law for a day with you. Primary interest in Perry Poke but really just general help in Skagit techniques.

Russ

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Shootingheads...

...this basically comes down to a question of "definition". I was using the term "shootinghead" in reference to a line system that backed the casting portion of the line with monofilament runningline. To my knowledge, this use of mono was an "invention" first originating in NoCal. I remember conversing with Jimmy Green, Jim being the first to use such a system in International flycasting tournaments (consequently winning and setting records at those tournaments), but cannot recall the names of the anglers from which Jimmy learned the system.

Like I said, its a question of definition. What separates a weight forward line from a torpedo head from a shootinghead?!

·
BULL DOG!!!!
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man, its been 5 years since I wrote that:Eyecrazy: , lol.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Wow!!!

Hey Bruce, didn't even notice that posting date... that is a while ago!!! So, how are you liking your new boat?

Russ, my home waters are closed for the month of April, so no guiding at that time. My "season" runs mid-March to the end of April, with the last two weeks of this April already spoken for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts