Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I fish a Sage 15.1 and have a Rio Accellerator tips 10/11wt which on the whole has performed to my liking, however after 4 seasons it's starting to look a bit tired, frayed at the loops and the intermediate tip broke below the loop a week or two back so I think an upgrade is on the cards.

Problem is what to replace it with. The Grand Spey has a head 20ft bigger than the Accell and has not had particularly great reviews. I have fished with a Mid Spey and the head is too short for my style of Spey casting, requiring the drawing in of way too much line. The Loop quattro has had good reviews, but looks to be similar to the mid spey in head length.

I tend to favour a longer line and fish predominantly wide rivers like the Spey where the 35-40 yd cast can be the norm rather than the exception.

There are loads of 15' 1s out there and they spey cast beautifully, can anyone suggest a replacement tips line that will perform as well or better than my old line?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think that the Airflo Traditional or SA Mastery are the closest in head length to the Accelerator. The Loop Quattro is even shorter than the Midspey, more like the Windcutter, so probably not an option in the light of your preferences.

If you felt like making your own tip system, you might perhaps also look at the Carron or Wulff lines which are both about 80'.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Last Cast,

I too have been a fan of the 10/11 Accellerator. It was my favourite line on the 10151 (though I did add 10' of level belly to it). I managed to pick up a couple of brand new ones from some old stock, it is still around in some shops!

Barring that, I would highly recommend the Carron Jetstream 10/11 or the new Partridge Ian Gordon Mid 10/11. Both have 75' bellies which are technically long bellies - but not the extreme ones like a Grandspey or XLT. I have cast the Jetstream extensively - and love it, and have just started to play with the Partridge and it is sweet as well. Ian did a fabulous job...

·
Registered
8 Posts
For what its worth, I've used the Jetstream 10/11 and now I have the Partridge Ian Gordon 10/11 and I definately prefer the Partridge.
Michelle~

"Barring that, I would highly recommend the Carron Jetstream 10/11 or the new Partridge Ian Gordon Mid 10/11. Both have 75' bellies which are technically long bellies - but not the extreme ones like a Grandspey or XLT. I have cast the Jetstream extensively - and love it, and have just started to play with the Partridge and it is sweet as well. Ian did a fabulous job...[/QUOTE]"

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
If you use a GrandSpey or XLT on your rod, you should drop a line size to a 9/10 to prevent overloading the rod. Yes, they are rather long lines; but they allow you to fish out to 100 ' without stipping line. Just remember to drop a line size with them or they will feel like lead weights when casting.

That said, I agree with Kush's recommendations for a line similar in length to the Accelerator.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I fish a Sage 15.1 and have a Rio Accellerator tips

No one has suggested a line with TIPS

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I would wait a few weeks for the new partidge lines to come out. If they are anything like Ian Gordon's previous work with Carron (I hear they are even better if that is possible) they will be sure to please.

Just cut it at 15' and loop to use tips if you need a tip line. The 10/11 Carron cut for tips rocks.

-sean

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
We have had a number of people asking about the Accelerator line. There are still a few left and, to my knowledge, Ryan at Kauffmans has a few stashed away....he had, anyway!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for feedback

Thanks to all for your feedback on this. It doesn't look as though there is an easy replacement out there for the old Accellerator Tips line.

Ian Gordon's lines have had superb reviews, but I'm not sure I'm confident enough in my own ability to chop one up and create my own version of the Accellerator. That said I should probably have one in the bag anyway.

The 10wt Grand Spey I think is the closest to what I'm after, I have never tried one so I'll endeavour to test one out as soon as I can and draw my own conclusions as to how good/bad it is.

A pretty good season is now drawing to a close in the UK, personally it could have been exceptional, but last month a lot of excellent fishing opportunities were lost to being "spated off" through extreme localised rainfall. Xmas is just around the corner which will present the ideal excuse to upgrade a fly line (or two!!) in readyness for next season.

Fingers crossed for a good spawning.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Got a hold of two accellerators last week! Try Guide fishing, they seem to have some in stock.

Why oh why did Rio stop producing the best line they have designed!!!

Tight Lines

Gordon

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
for my stroke, the Grandspey 8/9 (by their original rating system) is a good replacement for the Accelerator 10/11.

·
PiscatorNonSolumPiscatur
802 Posts
last cast,
Be bold and try the GS or as a second choice the XLT. I used the Accellerator for a season and got to where it did OK but just couldn't see the point of that hing thing. With the GS you can still cast the same distances you did with the Accellerator but now you can go farther if you need or want. The extra line is something you can grow in to if you choose to.--Just my .02 cents.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts