Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try a new Delta with the THICK running line. What have they done to my favorite line!?! No bump between the the running line and head anymore either. The new running line looks to be about twice as thick as it used to be.Yeah I know I could make it into a head with slick shooter for running line but I hate that stuff and the reason I liked the airflow lines was that the running line was so thin and slick. Oh well, anyone try the SA short head? Ive heard good things.How is the running line on that line?

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
The runnng line thins down, seems like the holding line is intentionally thicker. The SA Shorthead has more mass to it and turns over heavier flies easier but lacks the nice feel and tight loop the Delta has. Actually I'm really surprised the SA isn't strictly a multi tip line because it is ideal for turning over heavier tips. As a floater it lacks finesse and I see no need for it except in the 6/7 with poly leaders where a light rod may not do well with sink tips.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Love the new Deltas. The thickness you are feeling is the holding line before it goes into the runninng line where the bump is. Nice thing about them is you can cast and shoot them on the holding line.
Leroy......................

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Yours must have been a pretty old one and yes they were great - shot line cannons but they had problems as the running line was breaking at that location so they thickened things up a bit - I can still feel a bit of a change in my 10/11 but not in my 7/8. I just mark all my lines with a felt tip at 10 foot increments starting at 50' and make a large mark at the sweet spot on the line and put that at my tip. They do not shoot as well as the old ones but are still great casting lines and I would not give up on them.

·
Registered
869 Posts
i just tried the sa short line i got from a rep and i was very happy with it. especially for the gl where you are casting short with heavy flies or heads. it is right between the w/c and the clouser line i use for heavy/short work. i also have a delta short for the same rod that i love for lighter work, but now i'm not sure which version it is. the delta seems to be the right line for the rod (t&t 1307 - d.s. 7/8), and casts like a dream, but just doesn't turn the weight as well. the sa has an extremely short fast rear taper. it will be interesting to see how that holds up, and wheather it will crack there.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Black Francis:
The lines hold up very well. That SA is really like a heavy shooting head with a bit of forward and rear taper to it. If you cut it @ 15 feet it will throw any sinktip matched to the line weight, the heavier lines (8/9 and up) will handle T-14 with no problems. What I did was cut the line @ 15 feet, weighed that, and matched that with tips of the same weight. For example the 15' floatig tip I cut off the 8/9 weighed about 112 grains so I use an Airflo 15' type 8 tip that weighs 109 grains. Works very nice.

Rick J:
I just recently got another 8/9 Delta floater ( after cutting the original, wanted another one uncut as they are so nice) and it had the bump in the running line at the junction where it meets the holding line. None of my other Delta's have this, whether recently purchased or older lines. I know it was a new production line since I spoke with the fellow who sold it to me and he had to order it from Rajeff since he was out of stock. I have heard stories of others who've experienced some lines with and some without that bump in batches of lines coming in at the same time. I'm not sure if it's not just an anomaly in the production process. Mine looks like the core is 2 pieces laid side by side and coated over with the line coating.

For marking the Delta lines a single mark somewhere in the rear taper is all that is necessary. You can judge the sweet spot by moving that mark just inside or outside the rod tip. ( I know that you know this, just throwing in an FYI for anyone else trying this) These lines cast poorly with more than a foot or so of overhang. I liked the plastic tubing Rajeff put out to slide up the running line that would mark the back of the head as it butts against it, but with the "Bump" in the line that won't work.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
but with the "Bump" in the line that won't work.
Actually you can slide that plastic tubing over the holding bump if you spit on the bump first but it really is a wasted effort as the holding bump tells you where the line should be. I've come to really like that holding bump as it is hard for me to see where the line is marked in low light. It is to bad they did away with it. I have several demo lines, some with the bump and some not and can see no difference in the way they cast. They all work great!

·
loco alto!
3,054 Posts
I am not a big fan of the thick running line either, but I have gotten used to it. I prefer a long rear taper to a running line of approximatley XLT thickness.

Rajeff indicated to me Airflo is modifying their running line to be thinner, but will take 6 months (or so) of testing to ensure its integrity given problems in the past.

I wonder if they will start producing the Delta Long 6/7 again?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
airflo

I had 3 line failures in 03 with airflo.used the replacements in 04.Did not like the way they were casting.they were not jumping off the rod and rolling out tight loops.the very thing that attracted me to them.first time I tried a preproduction line I could not stop using it because it made me look good! Well, in the meantime,Rio has improved thier running line greatly[even colored it differently].Improved head design so that thier loops jump off the rod and roll out tighter.They have added a great tool called the compensator.this teamed with 10 ft of t-14 made me easily fish kings on the Kennektok with the effectiveness of a big boy but with easy pickup.they have now added Skagit cheaters!I have switch to thier type 8 sink tips cut to 10 ft for most of my fishing, I vary may depth needs by having a selestion from 9 to 12 weight.thay dont have problems with the tungston wearing off! they last and last and last!!!They truly have a weapons delivery system with many different components for different situations.So I am firmly back in the RIO's hands.Beau

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rick J thats what happened to mine. The line was cracking on and around the bump so I took it back to return it.Then I got the replacement line and noticed the changes.I fished it twice but just didnt feel good. Quickly went back to the store before they shipped it and got my old one back.Repaired the cracks on my own and will fish it till it falls apart!

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
MJC said:
Actually you can slide that plastic tubing over the holding bump if you spit on the bump first

The line I got had much more of a bump. It was actually like taking 2 sections of holding line and laying them side by side and adhering them together. I just aint got that much spit! No matter, the line casts great. I marked the rear taper with a "Nymph Marker" pen and set the color with a blow dryer.

·
loco alto!
3,054 Posts
very very interesting - my line doesn't have the bump - it casts predictably enough, but I'm still waiting for those other-worldly casting characteristics to emerge. Honestly my line casts like a DT in comparison to other lines I have. I guess I'll keep working on a solid forward cast stop. I get pointier loops with a Triangle Taper spey.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I never did care for the thick running line on my long deltas, it finally got to be to annoying and I hacked it off and spliced in a good running line. Pretty much became a new line overnight and now is a joy to use just like the old delta except without the breakage problem at the junction. I think the delta taper is still one of the best but the running line makes no sense to me at all. I hear that they will be making improvements in the future.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Airflow xt- the orange stuff!!! I wish I could find it ina different color :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Highlander what is your impression of the polyshoot xt? Did you use the floating stuff? Is it more comparable to a monofiliment shooting line or is it more like really thin fly line? How is the memory on the stuff?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I've used the polyshoot in the intermediate, not floating, for my single handed rods and shooting heads - it has a plastic coating so is more like a thin fly line - little memory and shoots very nicely - I have been using it lately as opposed to amnesia.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Color for Polyshoot

I have some floating in a light green. It is a coated thin flyline. It shoots very well and has little memory. I expect that AirFlo will be using it as running line in the future.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Advantages of the polyshoot xt are of course the coating but also the fine woven core that has very low stretch and virtually no memory, especially in cold water. The only running line I have found that is better is on my Carron jetstream, again low stretch low memory. I have tried a few mono core running lines, even the old airflow (blue) poly shoot but they just don't agree with me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts