Spey Pages banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious about repair/replacement policies of various rod companies. Both large companies and some of the small custom builders. Understand, I am not refering to warranties against munufacture defects. Rather, accidental breakage that is clearly the fault of the owner.

A broken butt section one might expect to be rather costly. But what of a broken tip or mid section? Cost to repair? Or cost for a replacement blank section? Availability? Turn around time?

Also, what of re-wrapping a rod that is just showing signs of age?

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
Xpeditor

I love the Gloomis Xpeditor program I have unfortuently had to use this service on my Single handers. for $50 bucks they will send you a new rod Before you send in your old one. for $65 they will 2 day it. Does not matter if you steped on it or it failed on its own . I have not had a problem with this service. they have always been Friendly an the service is speedy. One other thing I understand if you want to upgrade to a diffrent rod or better graphite you can pay the diff from the modle you have and what you want.

Rambo

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I Can't fault Sage for their excellent friendly service !
Lorne Green of G.Loomis Canada has been extremely helpful over 30+ years .
As for re-wrapping and olde rod ? Try Lite formula Flex-Coat on one of the wraps.If it sinks in and looks OK, finish it off along with the rest of the wraps.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what was the thread called

Dornblaser said:
We had a very extended thread on this in the classified section this past year.

David
Can you point me to it?

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I remember that thread

Dornblaser said:
Although the focus of that thread was on how one of the big name manufacture's warranty applied to a pre-owned rod. And I have first hand experience on that. Quite favorable, I might add. WHat I am curious about though is whether anyone has had to have something like a Meiser, Anderson, Burkie, or similar rod repaired? Talon?? Any others I may have missed???

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Bob Meiser

not only is Bob's repair policy great but his custom work with existing rods is also great.

No one better to work with.

Rich

·
Registered
913 Posts
Ol Rich said:
not only is Bob's repair policy great but his custom work with existing rods is also great.

No one better to work with.

Rich
Rich, we all know that Bob's work is superb, i belive what JD is asking is if you have had any repair work done by any of the smaller company's how was it handled, what was done(repair,replace a section etc), how long did it take?, what did it cost? who paid for the shipping? etc. I think he is interested in how you were treated and what it cost you :) .

Bob Pauli said "My experience with Burkheimer's rod repair is excellent." Bob what do you call excellent? what was done(repair,replace a section etc), how long did it take?, what did it cost? who paid for the shipping? etc. I belive JD is interested (as i am :) ) in a little bit more info, We all know what the larger rod companys do; Loomis with there Xpeditor Service, Sage etc Please tell as i think that is one of the ideas behind the speypages, We can share information :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Being a Custom Rod Builder myself, I can reply for how we deal with these sort of "problems", and comment on the "big boyz" policy here in Scandinavia.

Naturally a small company like ours are not able to offer a "no questions asked warranty". And it should not be a surprice to anyone that such warranty costs money ie, increases the realistic price on a rod. So those who take good care of their rods, will eventually be paying an overprice - to cover for those being - not so carefull !!
We therefore obviously give a lifetime warranty on manufacture mistakes - even to second hand owners. Should an accident happen, we will repair any rod at a very favourable cost and meantime naturally loan you a replacement rod.
The cost for a replacement part corresponds to the work involved in the respective part, ie a bottom section, with cork, reel seat etc, will be approx., 1/3 the cost of a new rod, a tip might be 1/6 or even less.

Prices for Rods in Scandinavia like Loomis, Sage and T&T are very costly Rods and levels around USD 1,100-, due to import taxes and other irritating stuff. But they are still very popular rods and especially due to the "no q´s asked warranty" . But in Scandinavia even if you have the above warranty, there is a fixed fee for replacing the rod. This fee I now for a fact can be pretty high. Loomis (imported by Guideline) claims a fee of approx. USD 250,- + shipping, and then you might even have to wait a while for a new rod - or the repair.

So in real fact it is a matter of a calculation wheather you should choose a small company with good service and pay a realistic price for your rod, or if you wish to pay 1/3 or even double of a custom build to get the above warranty.

But, what puzzles me more is that, quite a lot of anglers accept to pay the same high cost for Corean - or Chinese build rods well known that, the actual selling price is minímum 4 times to cost. I am not saying that these Rods are no good, but you do not have an individually hand build rod, build by western world highly paid craftsmen, instead made partly by machines and cheap underpaid labour.
In fact some of these Rods are quite good and nice, only the manufacturer/seller, makes too much and unrealistic profits putting these rods way to high in price compared to hand made rods.

Funny, because - if you buy a Corean or Chinese made car, you would expect to pay less than for a Chevy made "at home", - and you would´nt mind paying more for that Chevy !!!

Michael Koch

·
Registered
71 Posts
See David Lee´s question regarding "Broken Loop Blackline 8/9" posted 22nd Nov. 05

Obviously this guy should since long have had a "loaner" to go fishin´ - hope he has got it !

Michael

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Meiser warrenty and custom work.

Whisky Dick

I have had two experiences with Bob Meiser's warrenty and custom work. The warrenty was on a 13'6" 8/9 prototype rod I talked him into selling me. The second time out I broke the tip. Aaron at River Run Anglers sent it to Bob for repair. (No cost to me) Bob called and said he didn't feel right about replacin the tip on the rod since it was a prototype and had been tested by many people. I told him I didn't care I liked the rod. Bob's said "Don't worry Rich, you will like the new rod". He was right, it is still my favorite rod. The new rod arrived at no cost.

When Bob posted he was offering Scotch Barrel wood I gave him my 13'6 to have the lower handle changed to the Scotch Barrel wood and asked him to replace the reel seat with the new pewter colored longer seat. I gave him the rod at the Sandy and told him to take his time I didn't need the rod until this winter because I had the 13' 6/7 MKS for summer.

At the Spay Fair in Carnation Bob brought the 13'6" 8/9 with the barrel wood lower handle. He said it would cost too much to change the reel seat so he built me a 13'6" 8/9 MKS with barrel wood lower handle and accents because he no longer produced my original 13'6" 8/9 rod. My cost for all of this was $445.

Needless to say I will purchase many more rods from Mr. Meiser.

Rich

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Whiskey Dick said:
Bob Pauli said "My experience with Burkheimer's rod repair is excellent." Bob what do you call excellent? what was done(repair,replace a section etc), how long did it take?, what did it cost? who paid for the shipping? etc. I belive JD is interested (as i am :) ) in a little bit more info, We all know what the larger rod companys do; Loomis with there Xpeditor Service, Sage etc Please tell as i think that is one of the ideas behind the speypages, We can share information :)

Very good points, WDick!
My experience with Burkheimer repair has been with two broken tips and a remanufactured reel seat--changing from uplock to downlock.
The last tip repair took three weeks and cost $60, shipping to me paid. The first tip repair was many years ago and I forget the time it took, or cost. The reel seat conversion took 3-4 weeks and cost $75 shipping to me paid.

Bob

·
Registered
886 Posts
Ol Rich said:
Whisky Dick

When Bob posted he was offering Scotch Barrel wood Rich
And not just any Scotch Barrel wood but Scotch Barrel wood carefully selected on Speyside by Willie Gunn, does it not say that on the rod?

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Kevin

I was hoping some of Willie's mojo at catching fish would be transfered to the wood, hence improve my chances of hooking up.

Rich

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.