Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
19,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking through the line tubs today, trying to organize the wallets for the up coming season and finding room for a few acquisitions, I came across some old beauties:

10/11 Drury S1/S2
10/11 Ian Gordon 75ft Medium Head
10/11 Ian Gordon 65ft Short Head
9/10 Ian Gordon 65ft Short Head intermediate
DT10 Scientific Anglers Salmon Taper
TTSP11 Wulff Triangle Taper
9/10 CND GPS Skagit Head
9/10 Airflo NW Skagit Head

I think out of all the lines I found, the last two Skagit heads were the most interesting.
Years ago, when Skagit was a new concept, we couldn't fathom of a line less than 30ft.
Both lines are 32ft and 33ft respectively and yes, the CND has "cheaters" - :LOL: a trip down memory lane lads and lasses!!

What do you have squirreled away in those line tubs??

Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was going through my tackle yesterday and found my first Spey line - Scientific Anglers Mastery Spey Salmon 9/10. Being a college student of no means at the time, the shop threw in the line when I bought my first two-hander, a Sage 9140 brownie. I think this was 1997. I got a J.W. Young 1540 to complete the kit. I went everywhere with this outfit. A lot of good memories coming back to mind.

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
2,457 Posts
It's been a while but I still use my Wulff TT on occasion. Especially when it's cold. Just today I tested a Snowbee with the first 20 feet sink on my 15'2" CND Soltice. Very similar to the TT But sink. Worked well on the rod. Still love the old lines.

·
Registered
Beulah Burkheimer Meiser
1,806 Posts
I was going through my tackle yesterday and found my first Spey line - Scientific Anglers Mastery Spey Salmon 9/10. Being a college student of no means at the time, the shop threw in the line when I bought my first two-hander, a Sage 9140 brownie. I think this was 1997. I got a J.W. Young 1540 to complete the kit. I went everywhere with this outfit. A lot of good memories coming back to mind.
Look at all of the "good stuff" you have now and then think back to how far you went with "no means". Those were the days. They weren't then but they are now. Its a funny thing getting old and looking back. Your post reminded me to take stock in my life. I have a great life, awesome wife, great family, and more than Ill ever need but harken back to the dirt bag days of skiing and fishing makes me feel young again. And proud of how far we went on nothing.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I started single hand fly casting/fishing in the early 70's and bought my first spey kit in the early 90's. It was a Sage 7136-4 Brownie with a Lamson LP 5 reel and a Jim Vincent Windcutter line (I still have all of that but don't use the Windcutter anymore). The Windcutter line was supposed to be the cat's a** but I had so much trouble casting it that I gave up on Spey casting. There was no one around Vancouver at that time that I could take a lesson (or 10) from and I didn't pick it up again until about 2 years ago when I bought a 500gr Rio Skagit Max for the old brownie and took a few lessons and fell in love. I've been obsessed with all things two handed casting related ever since. I now have 11 rods, 14 reels (including several vintage Hardys) all ranging from 2/3wt trout spey up to 15' spey. I put in at least 6-8 hrs a week practicing and or fishing for the past year and a half. I can't get enough of this stuff and I love Spey Pages for all the great content and helpful members.
You guys and girls are the best! Thanks for sharing your knowledge, gear and stories. You keep me going between casting sessions 😜.

·
FKA Bhudda from 06’
#aflyanight
366 Posts
Those 2 Skagit’ on the bottom you posted were my “GO 2’s” for Skagit line work… loved the CND and NWSkagit. Stashed these lines I have in the box, tucked away for a long time….
Delta’s
Guidelines
Airflo’s
Rio’s
Nextcast

·
fly on little wing
1,132 Posts
i didn't see anyone post the Big Boy 24' tips. Those are beast to casts in 400 grains. I think i used the body of rio WC 9/10/11 with them. These are the "loose" lines. Also have most all reels loaded and ready to go. Amazing the stuff we accumulate over the years......
Green Plant Wood Flooring Wood stain
Tire Font Adhesive Plastic Automotive tire
Product Shelf Publication Shelving Font
Watch Product Material property Gas Natural material

·
FKA Bhudda from 06’
#aflyanight
366 Posts

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
i didn't see anyone post the Big Boy 24' tips. Those are beast to casts in 400 grains. I think i used the body of rio WC 9/10/11 with them. These are the "loose" lines. Also have most all reels loaded and ready to go. Amazing the stuff we accumulate over the years......
View attachment 385200 View attachment 385201 View attachment 385202 View attachment 385203
Just showed this to the way better half to show that I am no where near as bad as others 🤣🤣🤣🤣 and I need more gear

1 - 12 of 12 Posts