Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be relocating to the Porland, OR area sometime in November and need some advice regarding where to live. My office is located near the airport and I'd like to start by staying on that side of town. I'll probably get a small apartment to get the lay of the land. Just want to make sure I get settled in a nice spot.

Does anyone have any opinions regarding which neighborhoods are the best (or worst)? Thank you.

-Chris

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Oh man, you are in for a treat Chris.

Portland is a great city and has a little of everything including boundless opportunities to break out the spey rod 12 months a year in some pool, pocket or riffle within easy driving distance.

I envy you.

BTW great casting with you last weekend. I hope Richard is showing mini-me his new tricks up there in Quebec.

·
Registered
427 Posts
you might define best/worst etc also price ranges and what other things are important to you. Schools, you may not have kids but they effect property values, commute times/distance .... PM me if you don't want to throw it on the web

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
my aussie navigator loves old fish!

that's how he got the knickname `stinky' :chuckle: ,nothing like climbing into your rig after a hike back in darkness with your `pal' behind you all the way,only to take one half a breath before suddenly realising=he's rolled in those dead salmon! :eek: skunk has nothing on dead chinook! :Eyecrazy: and that time is very near indeed!, :smokin: ,,`portland' is just one big mass of cities/`towns' like the bay area in cal.suddenly you see a sign; welcome to=,it's unfortunate a man asks for help and does not respond when hepl is offered:tsk_tsk: ,i would post a local flyfish oriented board or even -heaven forbid,a `bait oriented site' since,after all,i'm certain there are folks that would be willing help the man,however i don't think it would be considered `kosher',so,i regress to doing nothing ,much like the aformentioned fish:rolleyes:

·
A guy who loves to fish
67 Posts
welcome to the great NW

I would definately stick with your plan to rent an apartment first and get to know the area. Overall there are many nice areas to live and what is better depends on personal preferance--much like a two-hand set up. :D You can live in Vancouver across the river, Troutdale/Gresham a little east, or a little south in the Clackamas area to name a few.

Lots of great fishing year round for trout salmon and steelhead and the always enjoyable Sandy Spey Clave. Good luck with the move!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your responses. I know the area a little bit from fishing the Deschutes (just passin' through) a few times but wanted to solicit some more experienced advice. It's just me and the triplets (3 Two-Handers) moving, no wife-n-kids. Probably stick with the plan to stay around Troutdale or Gresham, though I'd really like to have an address in Boring, OR even if it's just for a little while ;-)

Juro, good to see you again at the clave. Always great to see your skills on display.

-Chris

·
Registered
344 Posts
I use to work out by the airport, and lived in the Mt. Tabor area (SE 60th and stark). Mt Tabor is an awsome place to live. Sellwood and st johns would be longer drive than I personally would like but both great neighborhoods. I would look at hollywood (40th and Sandy Blvd) or hawthorne (se 39th and hawthorne) would be cool. Hawthorne is real hippy infested so you have to be into that. In closer to down town the loyd center area is cool, but very urban. If you want more rural then you can go out past the airport (east) and look at gresham, fairview, troutdale, etc.

Let me know if you want any other info.

Dave
Portland

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.