Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For classic fly reels with anodized surface (I guess) instead of polished surface, such as a Saracione or Bellinger, is that any way to refurbish them? The frame, and the black sideplates. ie. remove the very light hairy scratches due to uses for many years.

A very light polish? (without removing the anodized layer)
Paint ? (the black sideplate)
Or send to someone for re-anodizing?

CHeers.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Abel years ago used to have a refurb service where you could send your reel to be reanodised, but that has now been retired.
I can imagine one of those metal finishing shops could do it, though it might not be cheap. I was looking at a similar thing to anodise a in the white reel, but you'd have to be able to take the entire reel apart down to every component to allow for a full dip.

·
Arthurs Seat
Hardy,Sharpes, Saracione ,Zwarg ,Carron.
334 Posts
Abel years ago used to have a refurb service where you could send your reel to be reanodised, but that has now been retired.
I can imagine one of those metal finishing shops could do it, though it might not be cheap. I was looking at a similar thing to anodise a in the white reel, but you'd have to be able to take the entire reel apart down to every component to allow for a full dip.
Sevilla, would you get a clear anodizing for the white reel just for added protection?
Thanks, Jim.

Reactions: sevilla315

·
Registered
906 Posts
Sevilla, would you get a clear anodizing for the white reel just for added protection?
Thanks, Jim.
Hi Jim
Yes that's what I've been looking for, a clear anodise process like the Abel platinum which still gives a nice bright shine for in-the-white reels.
I haven't to date found an anodising shop to do it.
I've done quite a bit of searching online and found some anodising forums and it seems it's quite difficult to achieve an anodising finish which doesn't lose brilliance typical of polished reels.
Cheers
S

·
Registered
906 Posts
I know also that Speylab offer chrome plating of the aluminium bands, which gives it a lot of protection and rust prevention. It also looks very good and one of the suggestions on the anodising forum as opposed to anodising.
This is however a preproduction process, not after sale.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I had Steve Bogdan and William Olson tell me at different times that re-anodizing just wasn't a practical consideration. I had to reluctantly accept that it wasn't feasible.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I had Steve Bogdan and William Olson tell me at different times that re-anodizing just wasn't a practical consideration. I had to reluctantly accept that it wasn't feasible.
As Abel once offered this service it must be possible but probably not that easy or cheap.
For an in-the-white polished reel it's a much easier process, as it's really just polishing the parts and then anodising them - assuming you could take apart the reel and remove all the internal components.
I saw a post on a uk forum where a guy wanted to have a modern anodised reel recoated with cerakote, a tough, non-flash finish. The company was willing to do it for about £140 but in the end he thought it wasn't worth it. Mark Shamburg also produced I believe one of his reels coated in cerakote for a customer.

Edit: it seems you can get gloss cerakote, I may chase this up : https://www.cerakote.co.uk/shop/cerakote-coatings/polished-ceramic-ovencure/glacier-chrome-w-400/

·
AJS Reels
497 Posts
What I know from experience, a small friendly anodizing shop will and can strip the old colour from a reel then re-anodize, it is better if parts are completely stripped down to bare aluminum with no ferrous (dissimilar) metal parts attached either riveted or pressed in. They have even done reversal of hard anodizing, then colour re-anodized. Reversal stripping of the hard and colour anodizing opens the surface grain structure which results in a brushed finish when re-anodized there after, if a smoother finish is required a polish would be necessary.
Parts will need to be polished or even re-machined with a light cut to get the as new surface, free from dents, because those scratches/dents will stick out like d... b... when re-anodized, bit like painting, do the prep work for a top finish.
As for shiny finishes, that chrome look, I wonder if this was accomplished by electroplating which is completely different process to anodizing?
As for other "painted on coatings" which are then cured, changes in tolerances would have to be considered for bores where bearings either press or slide in, at the end of the day they all still chip, dent and scratch no matter what, it still comes down to the owner and how you treat your treasured reel.

·
Registered
906 Posts
What I know from experience, a small friendly anodizing shop will and can strip the old colour from a reel then re-anodize, it is better if parts are completely stripped down to bare aluminum with no ferrous (dissimilar) metal parts attached either riveted or pressed in. They have even done reversal of hard anodizing, then colour re-anodized. Reversal stripping of the hard and colour anodizing opens the surface grain structure which results in a brushed finish when re-anodized there after, if a smoother finish is required a polish would be necessary.
Parts will need to be polished or even re-machined with a light cut to get the as new surface, free from dents, because those scratches/dents will stick out like d... b... when re-anodized, bit like painting, do the prep work for a top finish.
As for shiny finishes, that chrome look, I wonder if this was accomplished by electroplating which is completely different process to anodizing?
As for other "painted on coatings" which are then cured, changes in tolerances would have to be considered for bores where bearings either press or slide in, at the end of the day they all still chip, dent and scratch no matter what, it still comes down to the owner and how you treat your treasured reel.
I'm sure the Abel Platinum was described as a clear anodise, I had an early one of these in the late 90's and it looked pretty good, but not as shiny as a polished aluminium reel. That reel eventually developed a breakdown of the anodising, and Abel said that it wasn't as strong as the regular black anodised reels and gave me a black one as a replacement (a TR1).

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
672 Posts
For classic fly reels with anodized surface (I guess) instead of polished surface, such as a Saracione or Bellinger, is that any way to refurbish them? The frame, and the black sideplates. ie. remove the very light hairy scratches due to uses for many years.

A very light polish? (without removing the anodized layer)
Paint ? (the black sideplate)
Or send to someone for re-anodizing?

CHeers.
Pls send some photos of your reel for reference. I refinished a Spitfire Jimmy Smith made Hardy Salmon Perfect that had suffered surface corrosion from use in salt water. After a light polish, I used a clear lacquer to protect the finish and it still retains its brightness after quite a few salmon.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim
Helmet Wood Nickel Rim Composite material

·
Registered
189 Posts
to do this it would require stripping down your reel and refinishing it. When you do that it takes material off the reel. You would be better off calling the reel maker and seeing if they can put ne plates in the reel. I’m pretty sure Bill Archuleta might offer some input if you call and talk to him.

·
Registered
906 Posts
My Shamburgs are very nice buffed up, and when the scuffs and scratches get s bit too much I polish them up again with my polish machine using menzerna pastes of decreasing levels of "cut". I'm sure that it takes off more than the thickness of an anodising.
I've also done this to titanium and nickel silver, being harder and softer than aluminium respectively. I bought a product called Protectaclear which is used for outside aluminium cladding (and also jewellery) which is wiped on and has pencil hardness, to use on my in the white reels but haven't had the nerve to try it yet.

·
Arthurs Seat
Hardy,Sharpes, Saracione ,Zwarg ,Carron.
334 Posts
My Shamburgs are very nice buffed up, and when the scuffs and scratches get s bit too much I polish them up again with my polish machine using menzerna pastes of decreasing levels of "cut". I'm sure that it takes off more than the thickness of an anodising.
I've also done this to titanium and nickel silver, being harder and softer than aluminium respectively. I bought a product called Protectaclear which is used for outside aluminium cladding (and also jewellery) which is wiped on and has pencil hardness, to use on my in the white reels but haven't had the nerve to try it yet.

I'd be a little nervous as well. Out of curiosity what are the Shammys looking like now after a few seasons. I remember when they were brand spanking new they looked like a million bucks.

Reactions: sevilla315

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'd be a little nervous as well. Out of curiosity what are the Shammys looking like now after a few seasons. I remember when they were brand spanking new they looked like a million bucks.
They still look pretty good, but they do get scuffed when going in and out of boats and roof racks. They're user reels as well as lookers so I try not to get too obsessive about them, but a polishing job every 6 months or so brings them up again. If he brought out a clear anodise for his silver reels that would be a dream! I like his black reels but his signature silver reels are stunning - just need the TLC to keep them that way.
I'll take a shot and post soon..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts