5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trout Speys
by
Dana Sturn
speypages.com
copyright 2005
all rights reserved

So the past few months I’ve been looking forward to but also trying to wrap my brain around the idea of not going steelhead fishing this summer. The past few years have been rather damaging to my steelheading ego, with two dismal back-to-back Dean River trips to get me grounded again. Rather than tempt the steelhead gods yet again, I decided that this would be a good year to return to my old haunts east of Banff. Besides, Bow River rainbows are supposed to be descended from California steelhead, so it really is sort of a steelheading trip anyways, only the glaciers won’t melt and landslides fill the river in, right?

I’m looking forward to the trip because I haven’t really fished the Bow for close to a decade. I’m looking forward to long days that blend into long evenings of dry fly fishing in an Alberta August; of early mornings launching a driftboat in anticipation of a blanket trico hatch, and of floating past pool after pool of prime trout water knowing you could get out and fish, but why? I’m looking forward to all of these things, but mostly I’m looking forward to seriously fishing Trout Speys.

Trout Speys. I’m not talking about 13ft rods that really need two hands all the time to manage properly; I’m talking about those 11ft – 12ft rods that you could cast single handed if you wanted to, but that are more fun casting two-handed because you’re a speycaster and that’s at least ½ the fun.

The Bow seems to me like a good place to get serious about the Trout Spey thing. First off, my good friend Pete Laviolette has been experimenting with them for the past few years, so he has quite a bit of insight into how they are likely best used on the Bow; second, Bow River rainbows (browns too) are some of the largest and strongest in North America, and the river itself is big water that screams spey rod. But those big trout are in the bankside water too, so if I’m going to be doing the spey thing I need a rod that will allow me to fish both in close and fine and far off.

What should a spey rod for trout be able to do? Well, that’s kind of a good question. I don’t really know that there has been a ton of research done on the subject. A few manufacturers have developed lightline spey rods that have come to be known as Trout Speys, but I’m not really sure that the full range of Trout Spey possibilities has really been explored. I cut my fly fishing teeth trout fishing on the Bow, so I have a pretty good idea what a fly rod needs to do on the Bow to be an effective fish-catching tool. You need to be able to handle a variety of presentation methods, and you have to be able to go from throwing a heavy streamer at the bank to fishing delicate dries at 30ft. In single handed rods a good 6 wt will cover it all, though I prefer a 5wt or lighter if I can get away with it. So in a spey rod, I need something that can do the same. I don’t think the streamers will be a problem for any two-hander, it’s the dry fly fishing that I’m most interested in. I’m going to be fishing an 11ft2in 7 wt, and I want to find out if I can be as delicate with this set up as I was able to be with my old 8ft3in 7wt single hander I used on the Bow in the late 80s. I’m not really sure if one rod can do all of it, and do all of it well (certainly no one single hander could), but I’m looking forward to finding out.

What is really intriguing to me is whether or not I can actually utilize speycasting techniques to present dries, or will I need to shift to overhead casting? Cast any trout-weight line setup soft enough and high enough and you’ll get a relatively delicate presentation, but I’m wondering whether all of the splashing about that sometimes is involved in “spray casting” will put a good fish down at 30ft? Underhand technique, laying just the leader down, should minimize some of this, but how accurate will I be with a spey versus an overhead presentation? If I can spey cast to rising trout I’d sure like to, but I wonder how realistic it is to expect to be able to do this under most dry fly conditions. Should probably keep a 3 wt rigged in the mackboat just in case.

Will I abandon my single hand rods this summer on the Bow, fishing only Trout Speys? Not a chance. The classic, evocative rhythms of flycasting to rising fish on my home river is something I’ll not want to miss after so many years away, but you can bet that I’ll be spending a good part of the trip determining for myself how effective and realistic Trout Speys can be, and in what situations they are best employed.

And you can bet you’ll read more about it here…

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Keep us posted as you return to the real world of fishing for most of us in the summer to early fall. A world where there is no real need for long and heavy weight Spey rods.

You should ask Meiser to loan you one of his 5/6 Switch Rods. At 10' 6", his switch rods work very well from a boat, very tight casting situations and the near stuff.

However, I can't spey cast with my 5/6 Switch rod which is why I now own a Sage 5120. This rod with the Rio MS 6/7 floating line, Rio's 15' Steelhead leader and a few feet of tippet can reach out drop a dry fly or terrestial in my hands about as far as my old 7136. The 5120 in windy situations can cast the WC 678. One of the Sage reps has suggested to me to take out tip 2 and fish with the floating tip or any 15' Rio sinking tip. I will be trying that in the next few weeks. My 5120 with the WC 678 and using the MS 7/8 tip 1 and 2 did an excellent job in the wind with the floating tip and the 15' leader.

Keep us posted, and if the waters call for a Skagit line, please try one and let us know how that works.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts