Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How big a reel do I need for a wc 5/6 floating line? Is a click real like the Hardy bouley ( can not spell that sorry) cool? I have a ross big game 4 but like the looks and tradition of the Hardy. Doe,s the big Hardy made for a ten weight have a stronger drag the the small trout sizes? What about other click reels like peerless or something any out there use them? How much backing does one need? I will be fishing steelhead and small mouth in north western WI Lake Superior tribs mostly.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Jim, not that big.

I've actually got mine spooled on an old Plug. Med. Inexpensive, bullit proof, up to the job and $60 bucks.

:smokin:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hi Jim,

A Hardy Bougle' size 3 and 3/4 is perfect for a 5/6 wt. double hander. I don't remember how much backing we got on it but it was plenty.

Greg

·
Registered
939 Posts
With a rod that will cast a 5/6 weight line, you likely will not be targeting large fish, so 100 yards of backing should be more than enough. A click/pawl reel should be fine, and Hardy makes quite a few, like the Marquis or JLH, that don't cost much, are traditional, and will do the job. (Although I agree with Fred that the Medalist is about as traditional as it gets and does the job.) IMO you should focus on a reel that, when full of backing, feels good to you on the rod. The Hardy reels are generally lighter than the Medalist, so you can get more backing on a Hardy that, with backing, would weigh the same as a Medalist.

My $0.02

·
Registered
267 Posts
REELS

I have the ROss BG4 as well and have a WC 6/7/8 spooled on it. It works great and there is a fair amount of backing on there as well. I love the ROSS BG reels and own a couple. The drag on these things can handle anything that I have tied into so far! Salmon, Steelhead, Carp etc....

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Use a reel with a decent drag!

I have my windcutter 5/6 (currently, although temporarily, but not without function) spooled up on a G Loomis Adventure 7 and it actually works quite well. About 150 yds backing. Succesfully fought a 12# steelhead a few weeks ago on it. Real good drag. $100.00. Balances well on my CND Expert 6/7.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Don't look any further than

your BG 4.

I've got a WC 678 on mine, so I know it will take the 5/6 just fine. You won't find a smoother, better performing reel IMO. Good fishin!

Carl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts