Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently saw a thread on here where people were asking about the best reel available. While all of the reels listed on there are quite impressive they may be out of the price range for many anglers. So I was wondering what the best reel might be for the money. When price is an object what are some decent reels to consider without spending 4-5 bills or more?

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Spey Reels

If money is an object you should take a good look at the Tioga #12. If you can go a little more look at the Teton #12 LA. At $170.00 and $270.00 respectively these both make great spey reels. I also think the Magnum 200D was a great spey reel for the money at about $110.00.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
The Tioga I have and you can 'pound nails' with it.

It's big brother is also a fine reel ... $100 more ???? But #3 mentioned I've never seen. More info from Redshack needed. Could be a good deal.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Magnum Spey Reels

Howdy Fred,

You might know them as the "Cortland Magnum". I believe they were made by Leeda in the UK. Cortland recently told me they have discontinued them and I don't know if they are still available but they were a pretty nice reel for the $ they cost. Tuff & smooth. They also balanced some of the bigger sticks pretty good. I believe Dana had a short review of them under his reel section on "Spey Pages".

·
loco alto!
2,979 Posts
The old Tiogas, before they were heavily ported, were the best for pounding nails. Beware the Lamson Velocity - there's a chance that the glue holding the spool together may come apart when nailing. Never use a reel to do a hammer's job (no fishing today, just tying, and I think I need another dwink) :hehe:

·
Banned
103 Posts
I would agree that the Teton and Lamson reels are hard to beat for the money. The Lamson is of course much lighter than the same-size Teton, but both are great reels and are quite affordable. Geez - hammer a nail with a Lamson? :eek: Ouch!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Chris, I can tell you were never a farmer.

You do what ya gotta do to get the equipment back into the vineyard.

Na, never pounded nails with the reel, a rock ... another question.:hehe:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Redington makes a very good one as well, and there are still ocassionally the discontinued Redington AS reels in 9/10, 11/12. or 13/14 for sale.

SA's Mastery 1213 works well and it is under $200.00 US.

And the STH DDR 4 is also a very good one for under $200.00, In fact, I own three of the STH DDR 4's and have bought them for my sons and wife as well. It is one of the underated and underappreciated reels on the market IMHO.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Re: Spey Reels

MJC said:
I also think the Magnum 200D was a great spey reel for the money at about $110.00.
It's even better for $32 including shipping :hehe: I bought 3 :eyecrazy:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Best honkin' huge, disc drag, elegantly styled reel: Redington AS 13/14 (or smaller sizes for smaller lines); around $70-$90 on eBay.
Best inexpensive, durable, strong disc drag: Okuma Sierra 10/11. $30-$45 on eBay.
Best incredibly cheap, hocky puck-tough, retro-cool American classic: Pflueger Medalist 1498 or 1598. (And my 1495-1/2 holds a DT8F + sufficient backing). $20-25, discounted.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I second Nooksac Mac's inventory, but instead of Flueger's I have several Tiogas. All are not the most expensive, but they have disc drags and hold line. I've never had a reel fail driving nails.

Matt Burke

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Egads! Driving nails with fly reels. I suppose you guys would use your shorter 2-handers to prop up sheet rock on a ceiling to aid in nailing it up.

·
loco alto!
2,979 Posts
oh how I wish I lived in a place with 15' ceilings...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Best Cheap Reel

ChromeFever:

A couple of my friends have the Okuma Integrity 10/11. The reel retails for about $75.00, extra spool $24.00! They are new purchases but so far, so good. It seems very well made. The drag has a huge range and starts smoothly. They are spooled with 200 yds. #20 backing with a WC 8/9/10. Good looking reel as well...seems to be a steal for the price, almost seems to cheap!

River Rat

·
Banned
103 Posts
I had that exact Okuma, it held up pretty well during the first two battles with bluefish, but then by the third fish the drag was feeling like something was wrong. Not gritty, more like the feeling you get when the brake pads on the car have worn through and you're into the rotors. It got worse as the day went on. I never let it get to the point where the reel seized, instead I took the reel back to the dealer. Maybe their reels are better now.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Okuma 10/11

I think they are a great reel for the money, $73.50. I know of one such reel that is the vetern of several steelhead and salmon. It is quite battle worn but is just as smooth as the day it was taken out of the box. In my opinion if money is an issue this reel is worth a serious look. I wouldn't sell it if I thought otherwise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Okuma I 10/11

My Okuma worked pretty well for a while but when the reel got wet (dunked) the drag would slip into freespool then grab again leaving me with a ratsnest and no fish. I'm going back to Tioga
Scott

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
My Okuma worked pretty well for a while but when the reel got wet (dunked) the drag would slip into freespool then grab again leaving me with a ratsnest and no fish. I'm going back to Tioga
Howdy Squach, So are you saying your Okuma started slipping when wet after you accumulated some wear on the drag or that it always slipped after a dunking?
I am curious because after reading your post I completely soaked my 10/11 Okuma and pulled the line off the reel as fast a I could while the drag worked flawlessly.
I am not saying the Okuma is nearly as good as a Tioga which cost more than twice as much. I think when cost is considered the Tioga #12 is the best bargin around for a spey reel. I'm saying if a person is on a tight budget which many people are, the 10/11 Okuma will do the job for a long while.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The reel is new for the most part and slipped first time it was put to the test wet. I haven't had a problem with my I 7/8 as of yet though and continue to fish it with my single hand. Maybe it's my particular reel??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts