Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't own a spey rod nor have ever cast one, but have been intrigued by the trout spey concept since the Scott rod, 1196 (?) was introduced. What is the preferred reel for the trout speys like the Sage 5120, CND 12' 2" Speytracker, or Loomis Metolius? Is there a certain weight balance that a spey rod/ reel combo should exhibit? In the recent post by RA, there is a photo of what appears to be Hardys on the CNDs.

·
Registered
194 Posts
On my trout spey I loaded a Hardy Mach 1 8/9 onto a Tioga sz 8 (non large arbor). A moderately priced reel that works nicely for this purpose.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
E. simulans

3.5 inches small arbor reels is what I use, I don't want to talk about brands that could get heated up really fast.

:smokin:

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Tioga

I have the 13' 6/7 CND Expert which is a trout spey. I use a Tioga magnum 8 and it balances great. The Magnum has a larger, wider arbor over the standard 8 and allows me aprox 150 yds of backing with a 6/7 midspey. Great drag, great price.

·
Registered
Switch and Spey rods.
247 Posts
The LOOP 6nine is the ultimate light spey reel. I use 200 yards of gelspun and can fit a Rio 6/7 mid-spey on it. It is lightweight and has a top of the line drag. It also looks sweeeeeeet!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I use some Hardy's that used to be my single hand steelhead reels - a 3 5/8" Perfect and a St George as well as a Marquis 8/9. They are the right size and are cool.

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Trout spey reels

It is funny that I found this post, I am going to be proud father of S2H1356 Meiser Trouter rod sometime this week. And for this lovely fathers day present, to myself :lildevl: , I have a Loop Hi Tech #4. A sweet rod to go with the sweet reel.

LoopHiTech

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Ross Canyon 4

My Canyon 4 balances the 13' 6/7 Expert right about three or four cork rings from the end of the grip.

Zach

1 - 10 of 10 Posts