Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Switch and Spey rods.
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some good choices for a small rod? I have an islander 4.0 but it seems a little heavy. My bauer LM5 looks a little small.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Reels

For the smaller lighter spey rods I like the Ross BG series reels. I have used the 4 and the 5 with short bellylines on them like the RIO WC. You cant pack a lot of backing on them but they definitely seem to work and balance the rods as well!

·
"Sing"
51 Posts
LW 69

I use the Loop LW 6-9 and I like it.

The only problem I've had is, with older
spool, an overly tight backing (you do that with
gel-spun) can contrict the spool and it won't
be able to detach.

Same with LW 8-11.

-Sing

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
reels for 6wt spey

3.5 or 4.0 I use them both.
Islanders, Lamsons are good, what every floats your boat!:eyecrazy:
I do do the Islander 4.0 LX:devil:
And I do do Tibor Riptide:devil:
And do do do Lamson LP 3.5:chuckle:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hmmm

From reading these posts, it seems that the litesppeds and such are big for a 6wt? I am using a LS 4 on a Loop 9140 and a midspey 9/10 and it holds plenty of backing. What am I missing here?

Andre

·
Registered
730 Posts
Andre, I assume people are recommending the Litespeed 3.5. I've got one on a 8 wt spey, balances beautifully. Hey, just noticed that Sierratradingpost.com has some Hardy JLHs on sale, in 7, 8, and salmon. Very nice, simple reels, 30% off.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Look at the very inexpensive ($50-$60) composit reel from Scientific Anglers Concept 2 LA (large arbor) 7-9. This reel spools up to a windcutter 678 with 100 yds backing. I find it ideal for small spey rods size 4 thru 7 that my clients use.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Almost any 3-3/4 or 3-7/8" Hardy is the proper reel to have. A Marquis 10, 3-7/8 perfect, St aiden and so on... will all be a nice fit An older Sage 508 or 509 is also agood match.

·
Registered
Switch and Spey rods.
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've decided on a LOOP 2wide. It is the perfect fit for the rod. It is lightweight with a large arbor. And since i never use much drag the inertia drag will work just fine. Thanx for all the input.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts