Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sage 5120 Preferred Reels & amount of backing

I'm having a new Sage 5120 built for me.

What medium sized Large Arbor reels will hold a Rio W/C and not be too heavy for the 5120?

A LA reel is a blessing in tight waters if a big trout or hot shad goes ballistic and runs back to you with 50 to 60' of line and a 15' leader.

A lot of backing is not required for the waters I will be fishing. It mainly serves a filler for the line. It would be nice to know how much backing and what strength balances the WC 5/6 to the reel.

I'm looking for a reel in the $200 range or less which will balance the weight of the 5120.

Thanks

·
Registered
938 Posts
Orvis Battenkill LA V or maybe even a IV. Very light, nice drag, and they don;t weigh much. In addition, they don't hold too much backing, so thre will be no added weight from backing you won't need. My $0.02.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re Battenkill LA IV and V Reels

Smolt said:
Orvis Battenkill LA V or maybe even a IV. Very light, nice drag, and they don;t weigh much. In addition, they don't hold too much backing, so thre will be no added weight from backing you won't need. My $0.02.
Thanks. I have both reels. They are great reels. I will try the IV with the WC 5/6.

Currently I have the Rio Nymph WF6F line on it for my Meiser 5/6 Switch rod. I can transfer that line to my Ross Gunny III reel for my Meiser 5/6 Switch Rod.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"
FLGator said:
Can you spend just a little more and swing a Danielsson? Just an idea based on what you get for the money...
"

I own a Loop IV and IIIW, and they are great reels. The IIIW might be too heavy to balance this rod, and the IIW's might not hold an entire Spey line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts