Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Reel questions

Hi all,

New to spey casting and I recently picked up a Ross Reach 13'4" 8wt to get started on. I was wondering if anyone has opinions about a good reel that would balance the rod and fit the appropriate amount of line.

I was looking into the Galvan T-8 and Ross F1 (they would be in the top end of my budget). Also came across the Lamson Guru, which would save me a bit of money.

I will be fishing primarily NY state steelhead and salmon runs, but with the occasional trip out west for bigger runs or down south for saltwater fishing. Hoping to buy a reel that can handle the salt and fish down there!

Thanks in advance...looking forward to this becoming an obsession :chuckle:

Mike

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,080 Posts
My personal choice would be a Hardy Marquis, but...

I had several different Lamson reels and they are very good reels. If the Marquis series didn't exist, I'd still be using them. Don't overlook the new Orvis Battenkill reels. For the $, they will be hard to beat. For an 8 wt., you'd probably need the Battenkill V.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The Galvan and the Ross are both nice reels, but may be a little bit light on a long rod. Something with some weight is nice, especially on 13+ foot rods, helps keep the tip off the water without having to hold it up. That will tire your hand out on a full day of fishing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts