Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What weight or make and model of reel have you guys found to be heavy enough to properly balance a Scott ARC 1509 or similar length and weight rods? I've tried a couple of reels in the 10-11 ounce range which nicely balance 13 and 14 foot rods, but on the 1509 the balance point is a couple of inches in front of the grip with the result the whole rig is top heavy. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
Steve Trexler

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Interestingly enough

I find the more I re-read book the more I get out of them. WIth Gordon arriving soon to do a class on the Grant casting meethods I though I would read Fine & Far Off agin. When Grant talks about reels and balancing the rod he warns against balancing the rod out even as in his opinion it takes away the natural tendency of momentum to send the line out. He suggests moving toward the balance point but no to the balance point. That said it sounds like a couple inches beyond your normal grip point would be perfect.

I have found that none of my antique reels balance my 17 and 18 footers, they are all off by a couple inches. I have not found this to be tiring or to hinder my fishing or casting in any way. It just feels right. I will side with Grant on this one.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I've got a 1509, and the Tibor Gulfstream balances it very nicely. They're a little pricey, but absolutely reliable, and built to last. 11 oz. if memory serves.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I own a 1509 and have a old florita 12t reel. dont know the weight of it but it is deffinately heavy enough to balance the stick great with a skagit 650.

great reel.

cb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts