Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a click pawl reel with palming rim that is capable of holding line for a 9 weight spey rod. Suggestions?

·
Registered
938 Posts
KerryS said:
I am looking for a click pawl reel with palming rim that is capable of holding line for a 9 weight spey rod. Suggestions?
Hardy is the best bet. The large size Marquis or, better yet, the Salmon models. I believe a Salmon model is up for sale on eBay. Take a look.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Since you are a short liner a bougle would work as well.

A 4" perfect is of course the coolest and a marquis 2 salmon would most likely hold any short bellies you put on it.

-sean

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
Kerry,

I would second the Marquis 2 or the 4" Bougle. The latter does not technically have the palming "rim" you requested but you get used to it.

I have a 4" Bougle that I rarely use if you want to borrow it for a month and see if it suits you.

'tip

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
All good replies and I thank you.

I have a Bougle' Mk IV, which I love, and have tried to "finger" the non-handled side while it is spinning madly because of a running steelhead. Although hard it is possible to apply some pressure in this manner and don't forget which side the handle is on or you will pay with smacked knuckles.

I don't think Hardy makes the Marquis anymore and I am looking for a new reel.

Any other suggestions?

Also, what the heck is this "short liner" tag I have aquired?

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
Kerry,

I don't think he has them ready yet but you might want to drop a line to Inland. He is working on a click and pawl. Not sure if it has a palming rim or not.

'tip

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Blast from the past

I suggest that you look for 1500-series reels from the J. W. Young company, formerly of Reddich, England, now out of business. You didn't say what type of 9-weight, which can make a difference. The 1535 has about the same capacity as a Medalist 1498, and the wider-spool 1540 will hold a DT11F spey line plus ample backing. They have palming rims and heavy duty double click drags. They are heavy (ca. 10-11 oz.), strong, and attractively finished in gray/brown. A 1540 is what I mostly use on my 16-foot Alltmor.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Palm rim required?

Hey Kerry,

There is a great click & pawl reel currently on Jim Williams web-site from a swedish builder (Bo Mohlin). The only problem for you is that it doesn't have a palming rim.

The drag has a 5 point setting, and speaking from experience, when set to the maximum - it is very strong.

It may not solve getting your knuckles busted though!!!

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chris,

Beautiful reel and I am guessing you were talking about the used one because the new Bo Mohlin reels are way out of my price range although I would love to own one. I thank you for the tip but the reel is right hand retrieve only and I am to old and to used to a left hand retrieve to change now.

Again thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts