Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I`m new to the board , and relatively new to the long rod , so I thought I`d wade right in and ask for your advice . I recently bought a CND Expert 1306 , which I plan on lining with a Windcutter 5/6 with tips . I plan on using it on the Thompson and Clearwater rivers for trout fishing .

My question revolves around choosing the correct size reel for this set-up . I don`t really know where to begin , as I don`t know how much room this particular line takes up . Although I do own several trout reels , I`d like to get a reel that I can dedicate to this rod/line combo exclusively . Any suggestions on make/model reels that will be suitable ?

Thanks in advance for your help .

Cheers

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
foamyboatman said:
Hi all
I`m new to the board , and relatively new to the long rod , so I thought I`d wade right in and ask for your advice . I recently bought a CND Expert 1306 , which I plan on lining with a Windcutter 5/6 with tips . I plan on using it on the Thompson and Clearwater rivers for trout fishing .

Cheers
I used an SA model 8/9 with the 678 windcutter for years with plenty of space and it was plenty light. I would assume any light 8/9 or maybe even a big 7/8 would work fine. You can probably also cut off about 20 feet of the running line to save space...

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Reels

The Tioga 10 RA works VERY WELL with that rod and line.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
For big-T trout I would go with a 3.5-4" spool reel with 200yds of 20# dacron. An encounter with the alpha trout is always possible and I wouldn't want less than 200 yds to have to try to keep from losing your fly line. Options include disc/pawl drag, modern/traditional, value/prestige. Price determines a lot about the choices.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I agree with MJC. Depending on how much money you are willing to spend... If you want a value priced reel go with the Teton MJC mentioned. You can not go wrong. If you are willing to spend a little more go with the Loop Evotec LW.

I highly recommend the Red Shed Fly Shop (sponsor of this site as well) as your spey shop headquarters. You will find no better service anywhere in the fly fishing industry.

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts