Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new reel to pair with the Echo 10' 6" 3 wt. glass switch I've ordered. I'd like to spend up to $200, and I'd like something that I could also pair with my 5 and 6 wt. single handed rods. I'm open to both new and used reels, and I'm alright with disc or click and pawl. My only real requirement is that the drag not be too terribly loud if I go with a something on the classic side.

What do you think, fellas?

·
Registered
895 Posts
What weight range, in ounces- not line, are you looking for?

All my light two-handers have a reel in the 7-9 oz., 3 3/4 in. area, which would probably not balance nicely with a 5 or 6 wt. single hander. However, I'm sure a switch could get by with a lighter reel, especially a 3 wt.

I'm guessing others here will have some good suggestions, but for now, mine is to wait until you get the rod in your hands, and take it from there.

-Bill

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Once I get the rod I'll check it out with a few reels to see what weight I'm looking for. It would just be a guess for now. The St. Aiden looks great, though, and from the looks of things I might pick one up for around my price range.

·
Registered
912 Posts
A Marquis 7/SA System 7 perhaps? Should check all the boxes

·
Registered
136 Posts
A Ross CLA 4 should balance about right with an empty reel weight of 7.6 oz. I've got a couple of lightly used, new condition CLA-4 reels that I've been thinking about selling. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I've got a vested interest because I'm selling one but I have a Lamson Velocity Nickle that is near-as-nevermind immaculate (and includes backing) for sale in the Classifieds section...here...which would be perfect.

It's light weight, great workmanship, good silent disc drag, rim control, and beautiful to look at, and it has lots of capacity (just not enough for a 425 skagit head and 150yds of 30lb backing).

Priced so that you'd have enough left over for line.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a Hardy Princess on my rods in that range. Nice balance, light clicker.
I've been thinking about the Princess. Wondering if I want more weight, but that is definitely on the short list.

·
Registered
663 Posts
If I was you I would weight until you get the rod. Different people have different preferences on where they hold the grip to balance a rod. What balances for you might not balance the rod for me. What ever you decide let us know what you end up with and let us know what lines you like on that rod.

I have would like to own the 3 wt in glass one day myself.

Dan

·
Registered
41 Posts
im in the market for a new reel also. kinda leaning toward the lamson liquid. i think its new this year. not sure of reviews, but if lamsons name is on it,i willing to give it a try.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you want a strong clicker and classic looks, I would try a Hardy Princess. If you want something more modern, try a Galvan Torque or for a bit less money the Galvan Rush. Nautilus reels are hot now and they have a lower cost version that is super light.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'd also be looking at the Marquis/SA System reels. My SA System 8 weights 5.5 ounces empty, so with backing and line might be just about right? If too big, then one step down to the 7 would likely work.

I'd also follow the advice above and wait until I had the rod and figured out with whatever reel I had around and a sock full of quarters what the exact weight I wanted to balance it, and then use that info to figure out the best reel.

Enjoy and let us know what you choose, with pics of course ....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts